1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 Rebuild Phase 1

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by LordPeq, Nov 12, 2022.

1. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

So, it’s time for an upgrade. I have loved this R2 since I got it. I first started my 3D printer hobby when the Robo3D R1, the original, came out. When I bought my R2, I hadn’t even thought about tearing it apart or tuning in any way. Now, I am in the middle of making a career out of this and decided to leave me career and go back to school and am now pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree full time…. I am on trimester break until the 28th so I feel it is time to rebuild the R2, she deserves it. I am using a small 3D print farm I made out of Klipper powered Kingroon KP3S’s and produced everything on either those printers or the R2 itself before tear down.

I will be posting updates every day for the remainder of this project and then a YouTube video of the montage at the end.

So what’s the design/intent?
    Well, I am going to change just about everything but the frame and motion system. I will however upgrade the existing motion system components with some design made by other forum member such as @Lance Weston and his 8mm carriage upgrade.

Control Board: BTT SKR 3 EZ
    Controller: Raspberry Pi 3B
    Firmware: Klipper
    Interface: Mainsail
    Toolhead Control: BTT EBB36 CANbus control board
    Toolhead communication: CANbus via BTT U2C V1.1
    Heatbed: Robo3D V2 bed
    Heatbead Controlled: MKS MOSFET V1.1
    Steppers: BTT S42C closed loop stepper motors, and one LDO NEMA 17 for the Z axis.

Here’s the current state and I’ll post more tomorrow 3CCD343F-CA43-4A10-B671-27F1612B233F.jpeg 4252F227-1038-40FE-95C6-2FC659002AE7.jpeg

Attached Files:

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

Here’s where we are at now.

I disassembled the motion systems in order to rebuild it with Mr, @Lance Weston’s new single 8mm rod carriage and install the new closed loop stepper motors on X and Y.

electronics bay is all done, save for the massive amount of device wiring and transferring stepper pulleys is a chore, next time I’ll just buy new ones.

Attached Files:

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

Been a while since my last update!

school has been kicking the crap out of me but here is we’re we are at now!

The new 8mm single rod per axis carriage, courtesy of the fantastic designs of @Lance Weston, is complete! I went through a few iterations and mods based on my setup, but we have a combination of polycarbonate and PETG for the carriage.
    0B7743CD-177D-4E6A-874B-268F81AF1F97.jpeg 781BE4CA-5409-4E1E-9DA5-6839C33B10F1.jpeg 1C2F03ED-CB7E-4BDD-9B4A-9BAEB6B90E7F.jpeg 08999675-5374-4C65-9790-C1C2A9BC1D27.jpeg

and what I am very proud of is the installation of an SFU1204 ball screw to replace the lead screw that has been problematic to say the least.
    image.jpg

Hopefully I’ll make some more progress over the next few weeks!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Excellent work :)

5. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I do not see the aluminum arm. If you need help with it, I will gladly machine one for you.

LordPeq likes this.
  6. Lance Weston

I see you had to put in a spacer for the shroud. Let me know the thickness of the spacer and I will make a shroud that does not need it. I can then post the STL.

LordPeq likes this.
  7. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

Been a LOOOOOOONG time but I believe I am ready to reassemble and begin configuring.

I need to refresh my memory on how the motion system goes together with @Lance Weston 's wonderful designs. Need to figure out the filament tensioner assembly and the carriage should be good.

Other things I will be posting:

CANBus wiring for the toolhead

Supplemental cooling installation

Case modifications

A few other odds and ends that seemed cool.

8. Lance Weston

I found a source that has the pneumatic fitting on the arm (M6).
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.20.4b941802V6l5Z1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155919551664?var=456323756711

Type A

Attached is a drill guide for an M3 adjustment screw. Attach with an M3x6 screw.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.