1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The challenge of printing clear/transparent parts.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrooklynBay, Jan 17, 2023.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those the originals?
    Did they ever dry?
    Did you try more hardener?

2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The picture shows the tiles with one coat. That coat never dried. I mixed another batch, and added more hardener, but the second coat is still sticky. Shouldn't it dry after a few days?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4 hours max.
    Unless there is a mix-up in in the mixing.
    Heat will also help (try a hair dryer) and if time and heat and making sure the mix is correct are NOT helping then you must have a bad batch.
    I'd get it replaced/refunded in that case.

4. BrooklynBay

Maybe the coat is very thick so it takes longer to dry?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A valid point. I try to use as thin a coat as possible since for this application you do not need a thick coat.
    I would still expect that it is mixed wrong or a bad batch if it takes more than a day to cure.
    Try the heat -- that has to help or something is very wrong.

6. BrooklynBay

The first time that I used it was on a PETG lens to make it clear. It hardened within a day, and I had it in a well lit area. This same batch was used on PLA tiles, but is in a basement which is dark most of the time. Resin printers use UV light to cure the resin. I know that this resin requires a hardener but I wonder if the lack of UV light is creating the issue.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't say on that... I would suspect that it will not hurt anything to try it. The resins for SLA/DLP are quite different from most epoxy resin so don't try to draw broad conclusions.

8. BrooklynBay

The tiles still have sticky spots. I put them on a warm radiator cover for a few minutes to see if it will dry everything but it made them worse. Some of the epoxy got soft, then started to drip off the edges. I put them in the freezer, and it looks like it's working slowly. It's not as sticky, and the epoxy isn't dripping off.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have never tried it on anything other than ColorFabbXT -- that was sort-of the whole reason I bought it :)

10. BrooklynBay

I got into trouble with that epoxy on my tile job. I put the tiles in the customer's house over night which is a lot hotter than my house. I went back today to install them, and all of them stuck together. The heat softened the epoxy. I went home to get the hardener to brush over the tiles. It hardened the gooey epoxy but they didn't look nice anymore. I don't know how they could get that soft without being near a radiator. They were in a plastic bucket in a hallway.