1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Using Octoprint with R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Mar 9, 2023.

1. joea

joea Active Member

I have Octopi and Octoprint 1.8.7 on a Pi 4B. A Robo R1 connected to one USB. a Big Box connected to the other. I can manually connected to either one and select it;s profile (I think). At least OctoPrint.says it is connected and the LCD panel on the printer wink suggestively during connection as if enjoying the interaction.

Anyway, I can manually control the BB, axis motion, bed and extruder heating, from Octoprint and can see nice talkie talkies on the terminal.

Not so much on the R1. Actually, nothing at all works after connection, On terminal I don't think I see any actual commands to the printer, but I do see what I believe are responses.

I'm pretty much done for the night, so probably will not reply tonight.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As far as I know you can only control one printer from an OctoPi instance. You can if I recall correctly (on the Pi) configure two instances of OctoPrint (on different ports -- they can't both be on port 80) or use one Pi for each printer --> this is what I do (one Pi per printer).

You do not need a full Pi 4, a Pi zero can do the job.

3. joea

joea Active Member

I do seem to have sorted out some of the issues. An "iffy" (but brand new) USB cable was apparently causing intermittent communications issues.

Surely needing a Pi per printer would be required to run them simultaneously, but, so far, I can connect to either printer, one at a time of course, by manually selecting the appropriate port and profile.

At least, each will connect, report Firmware and other details (seen via terminal). Via the controls on Octoprint, can home, heat, and move all axes. Can even start a small test job, but I quit at that point to bask in my glory. (And relief, but, we shall not speak of that again).

Today, sometime, I may try an actual print job on the Robo, as I know it could produce reasonable prints. The BB I am not confident is completely sorted as to "profile" and details. From how that is acting during a print job, something seems to think the bed is much larger than I specified. At least that is how I interpret it slamming into the +Y stop. Support on the BB is sparse these days, with slow, or no, response on forums, etc. I've had some offers to supply a profile, etc, but, they seem to have forgotten to actually follow through with the files or parameters.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This has been an issue since 2013 and is still a subtle knife that takes out a lot of printers.

I know there are ways to configure OctoPrint to control multiple printers on the same Pi, but having (briefly) long ago experimented with that -- I can't recommend it. However... I understand that given the prices or the Pi series boards it is much more attractive in todays market to use each one to the fullest :)

Good luck. I have a lot of experience with Octoprint so if you have questions I can try to help.

5. joea

joea Active Member

Yes. When I finally forced myself to accept it was a communications issue, the solution was easy to find. The cables with the "ferrite cores" still seem to rule.

I was fortunate to find one locally for $80, case and fan. But no SD card.

Thanks, I may need to do that.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For that price I'd buy a couple ;)

7. joea

joea Active Member

There was only one at that time.

I would like to take you up on your offer of Octoprint help. A "profile" for the Robo R1 would be nice. A kind of sanity check at my end.
    The Big Box will have to be by guess and by gosh it seems.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I will pm you a backup you can restore.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no simple config file (unless you spelunk around on the linux disk) but I have exported and shared a Backup of the OctoPi server configuration

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You may want to backup your own first since importing this will wipe out what you have.

There is nothing special about the OctoPi config for a printer as all it needs are the dimensions of the X/Y/Z and the speeds.

11. joea

joea Active Member

Thanks for that insight. I was beginning to get that picture. I now see what you mean about the one pi per printer thing. Even though one can create and invoke different printer "profiles", there is, or appears to be, only one "G Code script" thingie to put printer specific G Codes for Start, Stop, etc.

Guess I can look into have two instanced of OctoPrint running on the same Pi. I think I read that was possible, somewhere.

The Robo seemed to run well, using the dimensions from you file. It did glitch a few times, but I attribute that to the "iffy" USB that seemed to work OK, but failed on the Big Box. I was hoping to avoid the cost and wait for a new cable. Not big issue.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that and a few other inconsistencies made using it with multiple printers -- awkward.
    In my case it was less of an issue for that specific limitation since the printers were almost identical.
    Plus the Pi was not stupid expensive and I just opted to run one Pi per printer. I have used the Original, the Pi 2 & 3 but not a 4 (although there is no reason not to -- other than cost). I know the Zero will work, but do not have a configuration with that. If the prices stay high it may be time to see if an Orange Pi can be setup for OctoPrint (I imagine it can). Prices on those are less than the Raspberry Pi, but not by a lot.

https://blog.cyril.by/en/3d-printers/installing-octoprint-on-orange-pi-zero-2

#12 mark tomlinson, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023