1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved What is this R1+ noise?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by twistedplastic, Mar 21, 2024.

1. twistedplastic

twistedplastic New Member

My guess is that it's maybe a fan?

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

The main control board on the underside has a small cooling fan. It sounds as though the bearings are failing on that fan. it's an easy replacement. Use care when removing the bottom panel, as the fan connector has a short lead and will disconnect easily if pulled too far.

Consider to tip the printer on its side or back, identify the fan location by the cooling grille and placing that in a bottom corner. When you remove the panel screws, tilt the panel to the table, keeping the fan grill close to the edge of the printer.

3. twistedplastic

Thanks for such a detailed reply! I'll remove the bottom panel as you described, and have a look.

If anyone has a link to where I can buy the replacement fan, you're more than welcome to post it here.

4. fred3d

fred3d Member

I suspect that you can find the required part in many locations, if it is indeed that fan. Also, the website partsbuilt.com lists with 3 in stock for US$8.95 plus about $15 shipping! The link takes you directly to the fan listings.

5. twistedplastic

I won't order anything before I make sure it's the fan. Thanks so much for your help! I'll report what happens, but might not get to it tomorrow.

6. twistedplastic

I did get to it today, and it's the fan as you described. I could hardly believe that such a tiny fan could make so much noise! I've ordered a new one which should arrive in a few days. In the meantime, I soaked the current one in alcohol and gave it a little squirt of silicone spray. The printer is running now, and the fan is almost silent.

Thanks again!