1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How To: Cura 15.04 Setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike Kelly, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've seen it come up a lot where people are intimidated to setup new software such as cura. To alleviate this tension I made this guide to help everyone move away from MatterControl.

After downloading and installing cura from: https://ultimaker.com/en/products/software

1) You'll be prompted to select a printer type. Choose Other (Reprap is essentially what we have)

cura 1.png

2) The next step it will ask you to be more specific, select Custom:
    cura 2.png

3) The final step is to define the build volume

Width: 228
    Length: 254
    Height: 228
    Nozzle Side: 0.4
    Heated bed [X]

Cura 3.PNG

4) With the printer volume defined it's now time to set some basic parameters, there are no profiles in cura so if you want to change settings you just gotta adjust the number. The only value that's required to change on this is from 2.85mm to 1.75mm (or whatever you measure the filament diameter to be)

cura 4.PNG

5) The final required step is to adjust the start G-code to include the autoleveling script:

G28 by itself will home X and Y then move to the center of the bed to home Z. This is preferred. Comment out with a semicolon ;

Then a M565 and G29 are needed.
    Cura 5.PNG

Or delete the G28 code and copy and paste this:

Code:
    G28     ;home all axis
    M565 Z-1.0     ;Define a 1.0mm offset, this may need adjusting
    G29     ;run autolevel routine

That's all the basic stuff you need to do.

These steps are optional:

6) I prefer to have 2-3 skirts before my print starts to make sure it's running smoothly before it hits the main print:
    Under Expert > Open Expert Settings
    Cura 6.PNG

7) Then if you want movement controls you need to enable the Pronterface UI:
    Under File > Preferences
    Cura 7.PNG

8) If you find yourself having trouble connecting you may need to disable auto, select the appropriate Com port for you printer and define the baud rate as 250000

Cura 8.PNG

Printer head size is used for the "Print one at a time" and is not necessary to setup unless you want to.

That should be everything you need to do to setup Cura. Should take around 5 minutes to setup.

#1 Mike Kelly, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
    wsam, The Seagull, Rigmarol and 27 others like this.
  2. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

This should be a sticky.

Thank you so much.

2 people like this.
  3. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mike is there anything in the end gcode that should be added or changed

4. bryson bishop

bryson bishop Member

i just set up my cura with these settings but when i go to print with the movement controls it changes my temperature to higher than what i need. EX: I input the hot end temp to be 210 and cura heats it up to 220. I input the bed temp to be 50 and cura heats it up to 70

tom1441 likes this.
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those are default settings, Change them on the front page as I said in your other thread. Please contain all questions to one thread :)

6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I used these settings today for the first time in Cura and it worked like a charm on my very first print.

I think the bed settings Might not be the same for me and you as I am using a R1

228 = 9" - x
    254 = 10" - y

228 = 9" - z

should be

228 = 9" - x
    254 = 10" - y
    200 = 8" - z

Am I wrong?

Also I am guessing these are the settings I should be starting with regardless of the software I am using.

I think it might be time to give Simplify another go.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I got the 228 from some other reference, I don't remember where exactly. I think either MC or the firmware specifies it as that.

The best method is to raise the nozzle until it crashes into the lid. I'll check my model and see what that value would be

8. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Didn't someone post that they ran theirs to the top and it fell off and broke a bunch of stuff? lol

I don't think I will be testing those waters. Let me know. :)

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

lol well that sounds more like a personal problem for that guy. I don't think that's really what happened. Especially the newest models with the longer smooth rods, you'd just reach the end of the threaded rod and it would sit there.

If you have the enclosure on you shouldn't be able to drive it out as well. The enclosure would be hit before it could fall off.

I think what you're referring to is the guy that drove his nozzle into the bed which caused his z switches to spin

10. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

You are most likely right. I do have smooth rods running to the top.

OK I will give it a go tomorrow. 8 inches up seems weird it looks much taller then that.

Also how do I add to the gcode and make it save? When I was typing in there it was all black not black and green like it looks in your pic.

Maybe numbering your steps will make it easier to point out for questions.

Thanks again this is exactly the kind of instructions I was looking for.

tom1441 likes this.
  11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The absolute max you can raise it is 235mm before the part would start to catch on the opening of the enclosure. According to my model you'll get to about 226mm before the wade gear would hit the lid, though it might be 228mm.

A screenshot of your startup gcode would be appreciated. It will save automatically when you make a revision.

12. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Here are some before and after pics. once I close it down and then reopen it there stuff I added is gone.

OK this time it stayed but it is not green like yours. I don't know if that matters but I don't think it checked the bed before it started last time and its too late for me to try and start a new print without my woman killing me tonight.

Attached Files:

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ah, use a ; semicolon not a : colon

14. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Flawless,

It was hard to see and I don't write code so I had no idea what I was doing just copying. Maybe type it in after the step instructions to make it easier people can just copy and paste.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Done, thanks for the suggestions.

16. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

My pleasure. Its so nice when things are clear.

And tech support at 2:30 am is amazing! lol :)

17. deeph

deeph Member

Hi Mike, what value did you use for Z Distance in Support? I have my layer on top of support curly.

18. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I think .15 is the recommended, that is what I use and seems to work well taking support pieces off.

19. deeph

deeph Member

I have used that, but just barely touching the support.
    I also used G1 Z-0.98 for starting gcode.

20. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I ended up with G1 Z-0.5 for starting code, just depends on your bed level, it was too low when I switched to Cura and the filament kept breaking in the extruder due to it couldn't extract.