1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved RAMPS board, LED2 shows intermittent cutout of voltage.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Island Bill, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Island Bill

Island Bill Active Member

Hi ev1,

I began having trouble recently with the heated bed cutting out intermittently. I've discovered that the fan which was mounted on the board had stopped working, and two of the heat sinks had fallen off of the X and Y Pololu boards, which is a bad thing. I turned the printer on it's side and asked it to heat the print bed. That's when I noticed the LED would cut out and come back on. At first I tried playing with the wire to the bed (I know, that's like shaking someone's foot instead of their hand) thinking there might be some feedback issue with the thermistor wires. But I don't think that's it. I put a voltmeter on the power lugs to the heat bed and saw that the power cuts out when the LED does. Now I think the damn RAMPS board overheated. Any ideas as to troubleshooting steps I can take so I don't waste time waiting for a new board in the event that's not the cause?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the heatsinks have fallen off you may have simply lost one of the stepper driver daughter cards and not the entire RAMPS.
    However, it may be faster and easier to simply replace the RAMPS.

I can point you to another thread where I linked to a site that has Arduino code to exercise the RAMPS. You can do that 'on the bench' but that would mean having a spare Arduino board as well (which, I also suggest is a good idea). At this point I have spares of all the boards since I had a Arduino Mega go bad on me at one point. Not dead mind you, but intermittent. It finally failed while bench testing it :(

Put the heat sinks back on the driver cards -- a small drop of cyanoacrylate will work.

3. Island Bill

And this would affect power to the heated bed?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not directly (sadly) no.
    Just the stepper motors.
    If the heated bed is not heating then likely the mosfet that drives that channel (output D8 which, I am fairly certain is Q3) is bad (or going).

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know @Mike Kelly has another diagram I posted that is maybe a little clearer.
    If you are having problems with the heated bed then likely the RAMPS is in need of a swap.

6. Island Bill

Much appreciated Mark. I've found several of the RAMPS board pinout diagrams online and they all seem to agree with yours. I've just ordered a new RAMPS board and a 5 pack of the Pololus. Why screw around, huh? BTW I found your post on adding a fan to the front of the case and that is precisely what I'll be doing while waiting for the parts. Noise? I WANT it to make noise, that way I'll know if the fan fails. I run my NOCs by ear as much as anything else, always have. ;)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I don't want to waste a ton of money on spare parts you don't need, but the electronics bits are all pretty cheap and if it saves me a week of down-time it was worth the expense.

I can't swear the fan on the case has prevented me from having RAMPS issues, but I have never had them and that fan went on pretty early. I still have a spare :) just in case...

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea, I've toyed with the idea of just buying all the extra parts. Building a robo3d minus the housing is 50-100 bucks. ... well.. the choice parts anyway

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well if the polyfuse is tripping out it could exhibit similar behavior. Otherwise it might just be the controller telling it to shutoff.

I think this is the image mark was taking about:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Island Bill

Power supply: I'm getting 10 amps and 12v approximately from each read/black. Is that normal?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes. That sounds about right The RAMPS can demand a bit more in terms of current (assuming you mean DC amp) but measuring the real AC or DC current can be tricky so you may not be exact there.

12. Island Bill

Ok thanks Mark and Mike (hey that could be a show). I found the problem. I had inadvertently shorted two pins on one of the pololu boards when I glued the heat sink on. I removed it, reattached it, and now it all comes up fine.

13. Island Bill

Update: The stepper from adafruit seems to be working fine, except that it gets a lot warmer than the old one did. However, the steppers in the bottom are also running a bit warm. Since I never checked this before the changeout, I don't know if that's different. I will say that the adafruit stepper has a lower profile, therefore less metal to dissipate heat. It did not seem to affect the print at all (about 2.5 hours long).

Another issue that I have back burnered until now is that the new RAMPS board does not power the arduino. Currently I have to plug in a USB cable from my nearby workstation to do that. I'm able to use the LCD control and it's card reader. Real head scratcher, but easily enough solved if I wire in a power lead to the DC bus and plug it into the arduino. It's just a little concerning that the arduino doesn't power up when I switch on the AC power without the USB being plugged in. Perhaps some input from others who have been down this road will help not only me, but others who find this thread... ;)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The stepper driver cards that mount on the ramps can be adjusted to help (lower current drive = less heat) but you don't want to lower it to the point where the steppers are half-steppin' :) Make sure those little daughter-card driver chips have heat sinks on them. Sometimes they can fall off...

Frankly, I'd suggest some heat sinks for the stepper motors if you think they are a getting too hot.

Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Machined-Heat...&keywords=3d+printer+stepper+motor+heat+sinks

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for the RAMPS power... there are a lot of flavors of the RAMPS 1.4 I noticed when looking up spares. Each flavor with varying 'features'...

Check this out though:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

Look at this:

"D1 should only be installed if the 5A rail is powered by 12V. It can be omitted and the Arduino will be powered from USB. You will want D1 installed if you add components to print without a PC. To reiterate, D1 MUST be omitted if you are powering the 5A rail by more than 12V, or the power is not absolutely clean, otherwise you may damage your ramps."

16. Island Bill

Well that was foolish of me....

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hey, if you are just missing a diode and want it to do the deed, add one in :)
    The default power supply from Robo is 12v so it will work with that diode in-place, but if you plan on upgrading the P/S to 24v at some point -- don't.

18. Island Bill

I'm on it, and thanks for the heads up about 24v. I don't plan on changing that.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. Michael Keyser

Michael Keyser New Member

If I'm seeing the Arduino's LED turn on underneath the RAMPS board, but still not establishing a USB connection to my computer with a USB cable missing the VCC & GND connections, I'm guessing it's to do with a missing diode for D1? I'm just surprised to see this behavior; unless I'm missing some critical understanding of how the Arduino is powered through the USB bus...but still seeing it's LED turn on. Weird.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

USB cables from the PC carry 5v.
    The Arduino can use that to power up.

Not complicated :)

If you modified the USB cable to NOT source power then -- sorry, not real conversant on the details there.