1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Loving the PET G

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ben R, Jan 30, 2015.

1. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

I print now since a couple of weeks only PETG - for me, no way back to PLA or ABS - at least not for Copter parts, or parts which need to be strong AND flexible. Currently printing some self designed (mixed) ZMR 250 FPV copter arms for my next month Kite Buggy vacations in Denmark.

Br,

Matthias

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Nope. Comes off easy as anything.. but I never have had problems getting anything up. I print it on an 80 degree plate, if one does not let it cool, it is still soft at that temperature. With fresh hairspray, it can stick to much depending on your size... wait 5 minutes and it will be detached all on its own.
    If you're printing on something other than hair spray on glass for anything other than nylon... stop it.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Usually the worst case I have (with the hairspray) is a light tap to the base of the print with the scraper/spatula and it pops off.

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

NOW, the problem is getting PET. all the good stuff is getting sold out. All that's left is PET+ and other poorly priced american re-branded product.
    Had to buy some on ebay yesterday. Was hunting around alibaba... Tempted to drop a couple K on a pallet of the stuff.

5. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

can anyone please tell me the extruder temperature setting for PET.

I tried printing it at 239 C, but it did not print at all.
    Temperature is not going beyond 239 C.

6. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

i have a hexagon hot end.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I print mine at around 250.

I am not sure you can go above 240 or 245 with the stock firmware. You will need to modify the MAX TEMP in the firmware and recompile/reload to go above whatever they have the maximum set at by default. The all metal hotends (Hexagon, E3D) can go to 300 with no issues (frankly even more if needed).

8. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Yep, the ESUN I print between 250 and 260 degree (E3D V6 Hotend)

9. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Thanks Mark.

I read on one thread, somebody said that after modifying the temperature in firmware, quality of models got worse.

Do this happens?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Modifying the max temperature in the firmware is not the problem.
    It may be that printing too hot is the problem :)

All the firmware setting controls is what the maximum temperature you can print at will be. If you do not change this you can not print some filament types since you will not be able to print hot enough. ABS and PLA will work fine with the default settings for the max temp in the firmware, but other filament types may not.

11. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

okay.

I will choose to modify the firmware.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you find that changing the firmware does cause you problems, reload the Robo3D factory firmware at any point.

13. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Fine Mark.

14. Carter Goff

Carter Goff New Member

So, I'm loving PETG, but having a few problems with the surface being just a bit rough. It's only when it's a large, flat, thin surface. When I print the calibration cube it works fine, but printing an iPhone 6 case, it just ends up a little rough on the inside. Any ideas?

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Play with extrusion multiplier, depending on slicer you may be able to adjust just for solid layers, we are talking hundredths if slicer using 1.00 as a scale, or single digit percentage if the setting is %. S3D only does Extrusion multiplier that covers all layers. SLic3r has a setting called Top solid infill. adjusting these can help get exactly the correct amount of plastic extruded so that the top layer is flat with no ridges.

16. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

What he said, but it won't always work. Sometimes the top just doesn't math out right and the top layer is different than other layers.

Saw a trick where a guy was adding an extra layer a few mics above his top layer and breaking that off. Leaving a nicer top layer.