1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Replacement heated bed unavailable from Robo 3D

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PickyBiker, Apr 19, 2015.

1. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Robo 3d has been out of the heated beds for quite some time. I have looked on the web for a borosilicate glass plate 10" x 15" x 1/8" but don't see a source anywhere.

Does anyone have a source or an alternative way of making one?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd suggest contacting robo3d directly. They likely have some stock but don't list it on their replacement part site.

I bought custom sized borosilicate from a company called cincinatti gasket and industrial glass. They have a minimum $50 order (so 1 sheet is $50, 2 is ~$60 etc) and shipping is around $25. Then you can use something like this kapton heater: http://store.makea3dfactory.com/12v-150w-kapton-bed-heater-200mm-x-275mm/

For magnets you can use 3/8" x 1/8" neodymium magnets.

Steve0 likes this.
  3. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

I did contact their support team and they confirmed they don't have any. (Seems funny to me because they are selling printers). Guess they want to save what they have for new products. I'll check out Cincinatti Gasket, thanks! Just ordered the heater and thermistor.

4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Could always switch to aluminum too.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The new ones don't use that same plate of glass.
    Those of us that did the bed upgrade might have spare parts laying around.

6. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Well now. A bed upgrade. I wonder if I could buy that from them? What is the bed upgrade anyway?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think they are no longer carrying that. It was a one-off they did to upgrade the Beta users. All I am saying is that there were a number of us that did it :) And the new beds are on linear rails with no wooden bases or extra plates of borosilicate...

8. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Mine has linear rails and a 10" x 15" borosilicate bed. Are they shipping a different bed now?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have the linear rails then you have the new bed (it is black with no wooden parts).

Yea, you would think they might have some replacement parts for that. You can find something close by shopping around, but what would they do for a warranty claim? Replace the entire printer I guess...

10. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Yes, it is black, no wooden parts, 10" x 15" held in place with magnets. I am going to contact them again to make certain they didn't think I was looking for something older.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you mentioned borosilicate they might have thought you wanted the old-style simple plate of glass used on the Beta. Just explain you want a replacement bed.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They have issues getting spare parts due to their distribution setup. Since they're manufacturered in china they'd need to do something like order extra and have it shipped to their manufacturing facility, then when they get a shipment of printers they'd bundle the replacements with the pallets. Then it's a slow boat ride to america. So start to finish it's several months for them to get replacements, thus when they run out it's a very long time before they can get more.