1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved My Printer Questions (Maintenance, Repair, etc...)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David BOles, Apr 25, 2015.

1. David BOles

David BOles Member

I've posted some threads here before that I didn't update, but most of my problems I was able to solve. Just a few questions:

Lubricant - I've been slowly, accidentally removing the lubricant and my printer has started being squeaky and getting some vibrations. Any rules or guidelines for what to use, how to put it on, etc...?

Spool Holder - I have been happily using the printed spool holder that slots and rotates into the top and can slide for different spool sizes. Last weekend they somehow came apart, dropping my new spool onto the heated bed and breaking it. Any ideas for shoring it up or recommendations for different ones?

Auto Level - I have been using Cura for the last little while after updating my firmware to save homing offsets (for Z level adjustments). Unfortunately to make those take effect, I have to home the Z axis right before it prints, negating the effects of auto level (I believe the leveling data is deleted when you home). How do I use Cura, auto level, and change the printing height?

Heated Bed Replacement - I have a new one coming today but from a preliminary look, there doesn't seem to be a connector for it on the outside of the case. Are there any tutorials for correctly replacing it?

Filament - It looks like my sources for both PLA and ABS aren't great (eSun PLA seems to have some tolerance issues and Hatchbox ABS doesn't dissolve well in acetone). Any preferences for high quality, low cost filament?

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully I can get these things figured out!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lubricant: for most of the printer I suggest lithium lube.

Spool holder (my solution)::
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?attachments/spool-holder-jpg.4226/

Heated Bed connects directly to RAMPS. Remove the bottom cover to get to it.

Filament, I have used a lot. For most cases PLA/ABS from anyone turns out about the same (even the cheap eBay stuff). For better quality or specialty stuff I go through the manufacturers* or resellers like @Printed Solid

*when Printed won't carry it for me :)

Printed Solid likes this.
  3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I actually really like the spool holder that attaches to the front of the case that comes with the Robo. Mounting on the top has a nice mechanical advantage. but as many have discovered, if you tangle your filament, the results may be painful.

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson I can't carry EVERYTHING. Working on getting more diversity though ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

@Printed Solid You should try and get some cheap PLA/ABS similiar to Hatchbox. You well sell that stuff like crazy.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably too low a margin (unless his warehouse really is that big).

8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

you guys are spamming poor @David BOles thread!
    It's not really a margin thing (we do have a few low margin things like the thermocouples). It's more of an issue where I don't sell things I don't use. I stopped using ABS about a year ago and typically use PLA/PHA where I want PLA. If I found a good reliable local manufacturer, I would consider adding a line of standard grade PLA, but probably won't ever carry ABS.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. David BOles

David BOles Member

Thanks Printed Solid... I got the bed installed, still looking for more input on the other questions though.

10. David BOles

David BOles Member

11. Printed Solid

Staff Member

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer