1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved So Many Giant Loofahs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David BOles, May 1, 2015.

1. David BOles

David BOles Member

I'm currently trying to print a huge 22.3 cm box. I've been printing over night, but when I get up, there's a perfect print ~7mm high and then a HUGE ball of tangled extruded filament. Both times I printed it failed at different heights. (2nd time was rotated and used a different filament) The left bolt was also significantly lower after the second print (only noticed it then). Thanks for any ideas!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

could be a temporary jam that makes it lose adhesion. Try running an oiler for longer prints and season your nozzle.

3. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Could be wrong firmware or the ramps fan is working. Ramps fan not working was my issue for a while. It will overheat and cause the printer to miss steps and cause problems like you have described. Check the firmware first.

4. TommyFilth

TommyFilth New Member

2nd the overheating problem. Out of the box my printer did the same thing until I found a loose screw lodged in the fan. Make sure you can hear it and or pull it toward the edge of your table and peek at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. David BOles

David BOles Member

That would be the fan on the under side? I think it might just be print sticking. I watched it try to print yesterday and it came unstuck. I'm printing at such a high bed temp (85 with pla) to minimize warping on this huge print that it's possible the previous test re-adhered...

6. jbigler1986

85 with PLA? That's rather high. PLA barely warps at all. Just make sure your first layer height is right and you shouldn't have any issues. Do you have a picture of your first layer?

7. David BOles

David BOles Member

It's mostly because the part is so big that the bed on the edges cools down below target temp. It's currently printing with 25% to go and one side has warped up. The bottom layer is beautiful and sticks fine in the middle.

8. jbigler1986

What are you using to adhere to the bed? I just printed a 67 hour vending machine body that took up the whole x axis and a huge chunk of the y axis. the whole bottom was flat. no warping at all with PLA, bed temp at 50 and I used aquanet hairspray. Having a good first layer will help a lot as well.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have printed large PLA prints with no bed heating at all.

10. David BOles

David BOles Member

Nothing other than heat, planning on getting hairspray over the week. It printed but still had really bad warping.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

12. jbigler1986

Yeah the hairspray is available at grocery stores, pharmacies and stores like walmart.