1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New to forum but not to graphics

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by barry ginsberg, May 21, 2015.

1. barry ginsberg

barry ginsberg New Member

Hi,
    My son and daughter bought me the Robo for my birthday (70) last week. I am new to 3D printing and am having fun. I already used the troubleshooting forum 3 times and Mark and Mike were incredibly helpful. I am now up and running.

I am starting to create things in autodesk 123D designer, It is a challenge but interesting to overcome its shortcomings. For example, you can only bevel the edge of an object using round or chamfer (but only at 45 degrees). One project required a 60 degree bevel. To get than you need to make a box, rotate it to 60 degrees, overlap with the edge and do an "exclusive or", they call it subtract.

Does anyone know a good book about autodesk designer?

barry

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck with the books. We use SolidWorks (sorry, can't help you with Autodesk) but I can attest to fact that no matter how good you are on the 3D modelling side you need experience to sort out what looks great in CAD versus what can actually be printed. :)
    A few goof ups and you figure out what to be careful about.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Barry, I gave up on 123Design a long time ago. Way too simplistic and some things were very hard to undo. Since you appear to know CAD in general. maybe something like FreeCAD would be more suited to your skill level. If you know any programming at all (I don't) there is OpenSCAD. Those are both free and have infinitely more capabilities than 123Design.

4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I am liking Onshape which is also free.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've been using geomagic, a poor man's solidworks. Not free, but cheap as far as 3D programs are concerned.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Sims Reaper

Sims Reaper New Member

I started using Autodesk Fusion 360. It hasn't taken me too long to get some of my own parts designed and printed, and it is free as long as you don't use it for profit. Or so they say, I'm still in the initial trial period