1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered hair spray

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Arbi, May 22, 2015.

1. Arbi

Arbi Member

I do have a concern and i was wondering if you guys have any idea.

I am using hair spray for my robo printer and it works fine. In a daily basis i use it to print stuff. My question is , is it unhealthy that i breathing the smell of the hair spray every day ? not to mention that i gets heated with the bed and it is creating even more bad smell. Is this bad for the lungs or i should not be concerned ?

2. scotta

scotta Active Member

I use glue stick. cheap, easy to get. easy to clean up. Just wash the printed parts in water.
    the yellow UHU works really well, bet to 65 or 70C

3. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

No. You are fine with the hairspray. It's not any worse than the chemicals coming from the filament.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're mostly breathing in the DiMethyl Ether that's being off gassed as the pressurant. It's "relatively" non-toxic so you're fine.

5. Wayne Black

Wayne Black New Member

Get hairspray in the manual pump. You'll have less spray fog than with the aerosol cans. I personally use Rave 4X Climate Shield Unscented (even though it still smells (?))
    Haven't had any problems with lifting.

6. coombs

coombs New Member

I always use Finesse Firm Hold unscented aerosol hairspray and I just discovered they make a non-aerosol pump version so I tried it out. NOT a good idea. The pump spray didn't hold the print to the bed AT ALL. The print came loose and got stuck to the print head and always destroyed my extruder. I don't know if it's just this brand that does it, but I'm not using the pump kind anymore.

7. Wayne Black

Wayne Black New Member

That's odd, I would think it would be the same formula.
    I haven't had any problems with the manual pump and parts are definitely stuck down

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

If printing with PLA.. I have been using random glue stick. and 55deg bed heat and they are so stuck its really hard to get them off.

I have also used generic office max glue stick.

[​IMG]