1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruded problems & y axis over movement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mbisjr23, May 15, 2015.

1. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

sorry I haven't given any updates on this in a while, so slammed at work. so I was able to finally move the nozzle away from the bed. for some reason changing the z offset in settings for both matter control and simplify 3d did nothing. I had to changer it in the g code script itself for anything to happen. I was afraid to mess with tis at first cause I know nothing about g code writing and didn't want to mess something up I couldn't fix. it now prints but seems like it is under extruding or the nozzle is clogged with adhesive or junk that is making it stringy and ugly print. im looking to upgrade my hotend this weekend. either to the e3d v6 or pico then take it from there. thank you guys for all the patience and help. it was really frustrating to have been printing for moths with no issues at all then have this happen out of no where and not know how to fix it. we will see where the new hot end will take me

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Calibrate your extruder if you have not already.

As for stringing that is a combination of printing too hot and/or not enough retraction.

3. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

could you take a screen shot of where you change this setting once you do the calculation?

4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

The easy / lazy way is to just change the extrusion percentage which is probably a good idea to do and then just print a test cube as a sanity check.

The best way is to flash an arduino, but it is friday afternoon and I am running out of motivation to detail those sorts of things.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, changing the extruder steps in the firmware is the more permanent solution.
    I just calculated and set the extrusion % in the slicer.

6. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Lol, no problem. Whenever you have time

7. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

so the z axis issues are now solved, can move no problem now. i calibrated the extruder and it was under extruding by only 3mm so i didn't change anything but i just can't get a good print. so frustrating. I'm at the point I'm gonna take a hammer to this thing. been searching through s3d forum trying to find setting help for robo3d so fingers crossed.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Picture of a bad print?

9. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Attached Files:

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Try a different filament. That starter stuff isn't the best.

Season your nozzle.

Make sure hot end cooling fan is running properly

11. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

That's not the starter roll. It's roll of abs from matter hackers

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Stick with PLA until you master it. Then move on to ABS which can be more tricky

13. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

I did, was printing pla with no issues then moved on to abs no problems for two months till Last month I started having z axis issues a couple other things. Now trying to get it back

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

When in doubt. Print hotter

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

so, after the failed atempts with abs that i posted picks here, i attempted to go back to pla. first print, not bad. layers didn't seem smashed into each other enough. i could pull them apart. so i increased infill extrusion size and infill overlap and got this mess.

Attached Files:

16. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

i would like to stress that i printed both play and abs for months with no issues. these came out of no where and haven't been able to recover

17. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

I ordered an e3d v6. For my sanity I'm staying away from the printer till I get the hot end in. This is too frustrating

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With the lower cost printers this is the one real downfall -- getting consistency of printing.

You can get there with luck or work (judicious upgrades help).

Something has changed in your rig if the same settings with the same software are not working. Filament can be a big variant, but usually the filament issues I have had have not been fatal to the print... more along the lines of cosmetic rather than structural. However sometimes the fluctuations can cause larger issues. Generally speaking if I had a roll or PLA that was printing fine the next roll might generate a worse 'look' and need fine tuning to fix it back, but structurally it was fine.

Sometimes the software can be inconsistent. The two I have had the best results with were repetier host and (naturally) Simplify3D. Both were always able to consistently generate reproducible results.

Upgrading components can help with the consistency (but you are adding to the cost).

19. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

I really appreciate all the advise. This has been quite a frustrating experience. From what I'm seeing in my prints, I think there is a problem with the hot end so I really hope this fixes it. How long do you think it takes for filament to go bad? Pla and abs

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Years.

Seriously, years. It may be 'wet' (soaked up moisture/humidity) but even wet filament still prints OK structurally. It just visually looks works due to the tiny bubbles (steam) in it. It is probably not 100% as strong as dry filament, but it has never caused me a failure (and I live in a very humid place).

I am sure that the plastic can and will degrade over time (and exposure to heat/light/etc.) but it has yet to make a structural difference on any prints I have done (and I have some 3 year old filament--I have had it that long, not sure how old it really is).

Even if the filament gets wet there are instructions on the web for how to dry it back out (I have never bothered).

Does that mean I have never had bad filament? Oh no, I have. I have pitched a few rolls that were just total crap right from the start. Usually the print temperature/sweet spot on them is wildly out (20% or more different) and they would totally not hold up structurally. It doesn't happen often, but it does. That 'sample' blue PLA that Robo used to include with the printers is a wonderful example of crap filament.