1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Hot end losses Temp. and print stops

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by chadi, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

Ok an update. I can get the extruder to stay at 250 deg. If I extrude while not printing to test the temps it drops slightly but recovers and stays there for the most part. I've skipped the partial rubber boot in favor of a small ball of tinfoil placed in after the thermistor. I figure I have nothing to loose and all that might happen is a shorted thermistor. An new thermistor and boot is on the way from robo anyway. I can move the print assembly side to side, tap the thermistor wires and the extruder temp holds, good so far. Now it's the print bed that is not holding or even reaching the 100 deg that I was successfully using for a few abs prints. I've changed the maxtemp in the sketch file to 110 for the successful print attempts. Also unrelated I see the cork under my print bed sagging and barley, but still touching the bolt head under the bed, the ones holding the washers etc. Maybe some spray glue should have been used in manufacturing here, I know it would have to be hi temp if there is such a thing. The cork being held in by just the aluminum tape on the perimiter does not seem adaquate to me. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to put in a lot of time to get this printing again and stay printing to keep this from being a very expensive paperweight. I really don't know what to do at this point. The cork think is minor. just venting.

#41 Rob Parkman, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I just changed the max temp to 110 deg in the sketch file. I was able to at least start printing like before. The extruder still does a imidiate temp drop after the printing starts. The bed temp went from 98 to 102 ish to maintain the 100 deg I have set for the print, it never did that before, it would hold steady at 100, pretty much. I looked at the connections on the board inside, gave each a test with the correct mini screwdriver, hit a reset button and it still stops printing. I'm not sure the thermistor and rubber boot from robo is going to fix these problems. Should have been mailed out yesterday, wait and see I guess.

3. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I sent off a e-mail to B and H Photo Video as their return and exchange policy is 30 days and that will be next week. Will post results from what they have to say, this stuff is important to us consumers. I let them know the situation, my dealings with Robo support and the fact that parts are on the way (I hope) and their deadline is next week for my return or exchange from them. Not totally ditchin Robo prob go for an exchange as I think I just got a dud here. I dodged the makibox, got a refund from visa for my Pheonix Ez3d printer and now the Robo R1 I have does not print. Things could be worse I guess.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Short of spending a lot more on a 3D printer this is what the market is.
    On the plus side when you get it up and going it is a decent printer all the way around and as 3D printers go, cheaper to maintain.

Good luck.

5. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

Mark I know this but I thought I'd get mere than a few prints before the troubles start. I fly a tricopter from multiwiicopter.com they are run in a similar way, you are on your own basically, not even instructions, some outdated versions online but most of the infomation has to be found onlne if you need help for issues and problems. I think it works for something you have to build, crash and need to know how to fix. The new economy of opensource products is turning into a way for companies to offer products they really don't have to stand behind because the product is basically made up of mostly other companies components, you have a problem or an issue, it's on them not us attitude. There is a feeling of accomplishment to figure out a solution to a problem or modify something to work better, but come on now.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, yea, you should be able to get a working machine :)
    Some do get lucky out of the box, but if you don't... it can be daunting (more so if you are new to 3D printing).

However, all of the low-end (i.e. affordable) printers at or around this price point seem to be in pretty much the same boat. At least we do have a robust community.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I totally understand the concerns with the lack of support on the Robo side (or apparent lack, slow response times, etc.)
    Do whatever makes the most sense from your wallet perspective.

If you go for an exchange we can certainly try to help get the new one going it it has issues as well.

8. Droid

Droid Member

Your printing abs and running your parts fan? What temp are you printing the abs at? If you have the parts fan on for the abs print, turn it off.

9. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I did turn the fan off for the abs printing. Unfortunately most of my printing that I actually did was trial and error to get the temp for the abs figured out. I did have the z rod berings fall down and out of the print carrage which I put back in with small dabs of super glue that worked. I did not mention this earlier as not printing was the subject then. I do have good news. B and H Photo video has issued me a RMA after I emailed them in concern that I was nearing the 30 days next week. I'd think every new purchaser should use the printer enough to find the problems their printer may have within the return time. It's a relief knowing it's going back for sure. I'm still thinking of trying another robo3d printer because when it worked I liked the results. And now I know what to look for, really. And I'm sure more issues are bound to happen with whatever I choose to buy. The picture of the sagging cork is below. A lot of problems with this one folks, I hope no one gets R1 1401, this number is under the top where the filament enters the printer. I'm sure there will be a refurbished market soon for these, should bring costs down which is a good thing for those looking to get into 3d printing.

Attached Files:

10. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I am a I need to know, there is a reason for everything type of a person, I think most tinkerers, makers, engineeres etc, have to be it's part of learning from our mistakes and ultimatly making progress with what I call projects. I'm getting a feeling the print temp I required with my unit to print abs was higher than most use, I had to use 250deg. This has me thinking it might be a power supply issue. Ultimately a failing one might not be able to heat and print at the same time, but would heat up and start to print. I know to check amp draw you have to run the power through your meeter, I can only imagine trying to print and checking the amp draw simultaneously, you'd probabally have to move the power supply to externally to do so. I want to get back to the ebike project I started. Printing enough mock up battery holder thingies for just one of three batteries before the thing crapped out was a bummer. The fit in the bike and battery was spot on. The fit where it had to hold the battery securely was there on the first print, I did not have to edit my file for a better fit, I was happy then. What happened was instant satisfaction of ones concept. What 3d printing is all about, right? To a dead stop thereafter. I know welcome to the world of 3d printing. Time to move forward. I hate that saying.

11. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

A lot of the host software (cura, repetier, ...) provide temp graphs so you would be able so see if the temp is falling or anything like that.

Your thermistor could simply be out of calibration or positioned closer to the heating element.

12. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Just 'thinking out loud' here, but is there a chance this could be a RAMPS or Mega overheating issue?

13. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

From reading over this post it sounds like the thermistor is the issue here. That black boot is a horrible idea. You could get there stud thermistor and probably thread the hole with the thermistor itself since it's aluminum. I suggest installing a E3D v6 hotend though. As its easy to disassemble if you need to clear a jam or replace a broken part. Don't give up on it. I spent 2 month tweaking my printer and now I will put my Robo up against any other single extruder FDM printer. You will get the kinks worked out.

14. Jordan Lund

Jordan Lund New Member

I had the same problem, posted under my "Day 1 tale of woe."

It turned out to be a bad power supply. Robo sent me a new one, I installed it today and everything is now printing fine!

When I removed the old power supply I noticed two things:

Three of the vents had been dented like someone smacked them.

It was also covered in a thin film of peel off plastic. You know the plastic strips on the R1 that keep it from scratching? Yeah, plastic like that.

The replacement had no dents and no plastic strip.

15. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I just read your above post Jordan and gave my ready to go back Robo a flip on its side and removed the bottom cover. I rember the small fan for the board being loud then not. On power up it was not working, jammed. This could be it. Testing with the running fan now. I know what sound to listen for. My power supply was in good shape, no dents or plastic film.

16. Rob Parkman

Rob Parkman New Member

I was really hoping it would complete a print but it did not. I even tried the square in the library to rule out my file being damaged. Off to print out the RMA and UPS tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the replacement to be another Robo. All the reasons for the original purchase hold true now, price, print size, kind of like the simplicty of matter control and I'm sure updates and improvements are in the works to make it better, especislly along with the Robo getting better. Maybe they shoud come stock with the v6 hot end and screw in thermistor and some sort of true diagonistics even if it were to cost a little more. Everything has it's problems, I wish myself luck on my next Robo if I go that route.