1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New low cost delta 3D printer Ares by EasyArts on Indiegogo.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paul Yeh, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

There's a new low cost delta 3D printer on Indiegogo.

The Ares by EasyArts uses linear rails and costs only $399. You can also attach other low cost ($50 each) modules like 3D scanner, laser engraver, and very light duty CNC mill.

I don't know how they can keep the cost that low. :)

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Haven't you been following crowdfunding 3D printer launches? :)
    They're missing something and probably actually can't afford to sell a relatively low volume product at those prices. Typically, the fundees are completely inexperienced and don't know what it takes to run a business. They estimate bulk prices of materials based on their 1 prototype, but fail to consider things like running into quality issues with a batch, time to troubleshoot those issues, costs associated with returns, chargebacks, shipping damage, and of course the giant one: support. I'd guess that 80% of my time with printed solid is spent on support and I only sell a handful of printers. We're starting to see the fallout of this kind of pricing as funded campaigns start to fail to deliver unless they get an infusion of cash from outside investors.

Paul Yeh and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

@Printed Solid,

Oh, I do follow those crowd funding 3D printer projects.

I backed my CraftBot on Indiegogo. It's a solid 3D printer. The mechanical design is very good. I only had to replace the aluminum build plate with a borosilicate glass and it's been working great since.

However, CraftUnique (the creator of CraftBot) ran into financial problems in anticipating delay issues with their suppliers and it costs them money with their low Indiegogo pricing. The CraftBot also had the under powered PSU issue. I did not have that problem but a large number of backers encountered the PSU auto-shutdown issues. Many decided to replace the stock PSU with a higher power PSU and it solved the shutdown problem. The other minor issue would be the aluminum build plate not being really flat (easy fix with a borosilicate glass) and slow heating bed.

Luckily the company was able to hang on and they are now coming out with their new CraftBot Plus with a retail price of $999 which addresses the PSU and slow heating bed issues.

Yes, you're right about the typical issues facing those crowd funding 3D printer projects. But once in a while you may still find a good 3D printer at very good bargain.

What? Printed Solid has to spend 80% of the time on support? Doesn't Printed Solid carry any solid 3D printer? ;)