1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Please Help a Newb

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Linda Caudell, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Linda Caudell

Linda Caudell New Member

I printed out these two blocks yesterday on my Robo R1. The bigger block I did in MatterControl with MatterSlice which left holes and didn't fill the outside of the block. The second I did with Slic3r which I like the outcome better but the block was smaller than what it was supposed to be. Any help in what I can do to make a much better print out would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Attached Files:

2. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Have you upgraded your firmware and are you using the latest version of matter control?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

3. Linda Caudell

Linda Caudell New Member

Yes, I have the latest update

4. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Are you on the matter control that is robo3d specific? There is matter control and then another one that is for robo3d

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It doesn't matter much, MatterControl is low-end of the scale for quality software regardless.
    I am interested in why the prints are different.

I assume you used SLIC3R from within MatterControl?
    You might want to try using SLIC3R with Repetier host (free software: http://www.repetier.com/download/).
    You are probably hitting a MatterControl bug.

(None of the software mentioned in this post is created by or directly supported by Robo3 either. Each of them has their own support web site, but many people here use them so sometimes you can get directions here to point you to how to solve a problem)

There are other free options such as Cura (https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software) you can try as well and of course there are non-free options as well.

Of all the free choices, repetier host was my favorite. I was easy and provided good consistent results (with the exception of decent support materials which all of the free software suffers from).

Linda Caudell likes this.
  6. Linda Caudell

Linda Caudell New Member

You said that of all the free software Repetier was your favorite. Can I ask what your favorite non-free software is and why?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Simplify3D. (https://www.simplify3d.com/)
    It works.
    Supports are functional (and can easily be removed).
    Fastest slicer I have used as well and totally configurable.

Just, not free...Price includes a lifetime license (for I *think* up to 3 machines) and they actually have real support for their product.

Linda Caudell likes this.
  8. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

How dare you say Mattercontrol is not good @mark tomlinson . Just kidding, that software is horrible. By far the worst free slicer. Cura is a really good free one. It's easy to setup, fast and has good support. I suggest it to a newbie since it's not overwhelming you with settings.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

I will give matter control credit on the sync to print feature it is helpful

10. Linda Caudell

Linda Caudell New Member

Thank you for all your help. It was definitely a software problem. I'm not really that new to 3d printing (had an xyz before Robo...ugh!) so I did purchase Simplify3D and have now printed out a perfect block. I am using silver filament so want to try and see if I can bring out the luster on my block and see what that looks like...then onto printing bigger things, hopefully.