1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruder stepper motor hot

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mbisjr23, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

just a general question cause I haven't noticed it before but is it normal for the extruder stepper motor to get hot while printing long prints?

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Yeah. It's normal. As long as it's not overheating. They do get pretty warm. You can add some heatsinks to it if you want

3. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

ok, thank you

4. Frankn

Frankn Member

Yea, on a recent 10 hour run, I did notice it was warm, but not actually hot. I could lay my hand on it with no great discomfort.

5. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

I dont think a motor should run hot. Warm is ok, hot is not.

If your motor is getting hot, than it might recieve too much currency from the stepperdriver. Measure the currency it gives to the motor, it should be around 500mv - 700mv. By default the value can be set to max (1700mv or even more) and that will eventually lead to a broken motor.

So do some measuring please.

6. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Ok, so I'm getting a little worried. Did a 13 hour print today, turned out great but noticed the stepper motor was real hot. I have the feeling I will be leaving how to switch out the motor soon. Where is the best place to get an accurate reading for currency and if too high, how do I change it? How difficult is it to change out a motor?

7. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

Check this tutorial on YouTube. It's really simple. All you need is a multimeter.

Changing a stepper only requires to unscrew 4 screws and a connector on you stepperdriver.

Trimming back the current will work just fine. I have 500mV on x and y. 710 on z.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Thank you for the help

9. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

You marked the threat as solved. Please tell what was wrong and what you did to solve. People with the same problem will be grateful.

10. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

I marked it solved a month ago. I just asked if it was normal for the stepper motor to get warm an was answered yes so I marked solved. Yesterday motor was very hot so I revisited my original post. I have not been able to follow the instructions on the YouTube vid yet but as soon as I do I will update but I can not change back to unsolved once marked solved

11. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

Ah, looking forward to see your findings.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The only danger of running hot is that it might skip steps and cause under extrusion. You won't risk permanent damage to the motor.

The magnets will demagnetize due to temps above 80C causing it to skip steps. Once it cools back down everything will go back to normal.

13. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

An update, checked readings. All axis read between 411-422 accept one, read 697 so i adjusted it to 412. I will run a print hopefully tomorrow to see if that was it

14. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

697 is not a weird or high value at all. Clearly, the current is not your problem.