1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print Failing in same spot every time.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A poor-mans oiler is some paper towel with oil on it, wrapped around the filement where it feeds into the extruder.

You should still check the extruder for an internal jam.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Thanks I got some canola oil. I havn't had time yet but I will pull the hotend apart again and hope that solves it.

EDIT: ON the verge of just ordering the E3D V6 while im at it.

#22 KTMDirtFace, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

When my printer stopped out of the blue it was because the steppermotor overheated. Maybe you'd check the mV to the steppers.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While you may not need it, you won't regret it if you ever do the swap.

robert sanchez likes this.
  5. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Check the RAMPS fan. I had the same issue that I could not figure out for a while. Mostly because I was to lazy and assumed that I plugged in the RAMPS fan correctly. Nope. The RAMPS fan was not working. As soon as I fixed that prints stopped failing. It kept failing at around the same exact spot everytime.

6. KTMDirtFace

Now my Replicator 2 is doing the exact same thing...which is unheard of..it never does this.

It must be these nozzles I bought on ebay. thats really the only thing in common between them. But I cannot print any fine detail under 15 second layers without both my robo 3d and Replicator2 having extrusion problems.. Its pretty weird!. Slowing the under 15 second layers down to 5% from 20% didnt make any diffrence on either printer.

Just ordered E3D V6 for the Robo and am about to order new nozzles for both of my machines.

7. KTMDirtFace

I cannot print this on either of my printers. ( Robo 3d and a moded replicator 2)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:756444

Everyting prints great on my robo3d and my Rep2..until the part above the yellow line
    [​IMG]

Then fail every time... I have modified the print speed to make it go insainly slow for that section still fails. layers do not adheare.. print fails.

I have tried it in ABS, PLA, and colorfabb XT

I Have cleaned the heat area and changed to brand new nozzles on both of my machines.. Still fails.

Ran the model through netfabb

Still fails.

I dont know what to do or what its problem is..

I do print with support on this one..but if anyone here wants to take a crack at it and let me know the settings because i have tried about 10 times I have 10 or so of the bottom of the case that printed perfect I cannot get the top to print.. prints great until that part above the yellow line.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, if you want I can print it for you.
    As a check that it is printable... Not sure that will help you however.
    It is possible that it is a defective model, did you try running it through repairs?

9. KTMDirtFace

I ran it through netfabb.

I also changed to a brand new nozzle same thing. stops extruding properly. confused

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, sorry... missed that comment about netfab :(
    I am out of ideas for remote troubleshooting.
    You have tried all of the obvious issues... I am surprised that PLA and Xt fail here (ABS I might expect) but that does rather rule out a filament material problem (unless they are all way too hot or something obvious, WHICH I think you have ruled out as well).
    However I am reluctant to say this is generically a printer issue. This sort of problems are normally material printing issues, but looks like you have done the grunt work to rule that out.

The only other thing I could suggest is reducing the extrusion temperature once it gets to that set of layers (since they are higher up). You can do this with Simplify, but not sure if I remember this being easy to do with other slicers. In this setting example when it got to layer 55 it would drop the extrusion temperature:

TempTweak.jpg

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The fact that it works on the lower layers is why I suggested increasing the minimum print time for a layer. In those lower ones it is absolutely spending more time printing the other layer surfaces so that they have plenty of time to cool down and firm up.

12. KTMDirtFace

I have simplify3d so I'll try that.

thanks

13. Frankn

Frankn Member

Here's my theory. When my printer gets to hollow vertical cylinders, it goes into super slow mode.
    Looking at your failures, I would say that they are happening at this time. When the extruder slows, there is less pressure applied by the filament feed, thus a blockage has a greater effect on the output. Looking at the failures, it appears to be a lack of material supplied. Tie the two together and you have what has been stated above, a blockage in the heated path. By the way, I prefer a brass nozzle because they conduct heat better. Copper would be even better, but it is to soft.
    Just my thoughts, Frank
    Note: It's only two bolts and two connectors to fool with to remove the extruder. Whats that? 5 minutes?

14. KTMDirtFace

I give up, pulled the hot end apart again. didn't see anything that would be causing a problem. put it back together failed again.

Took it apart yet again and the thermostat wire keeps falling out I'm having a hard time taping it back in so I give up until my e3d v6 and stud thermostat get here.

15. KTMDirtFace

I just tried this on my replicator 2. ( I took my robo3d apart and its down until i get a E3D V6 )

Same fail spot still.. And exactly the same way my robo3d fails.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I can try to print it :)

17. KTMDirtFace

Thanks, maybe both of my printers are having extrusion problems, to where they are not extruding properly on slow speed things. But I took them both apart and jammed a piece of safety wire through the hot end over and over to clean them out ( with the nozzle off ). Put new nozzles on both still same issue.

Kinda weird that both my printers are seemingly having the same problem.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

notice the colors for that layer (and the speeds) this first pic was at default settings.
    printspeed.jpg

Next after slowing it down for that 'blue' section (a lot).

spped2.png

Printing now, will let you know how it comes out (run of the mill cheap-o PLA)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will be done in just under an hour.

20. KTMDirtFace

Yea I have mine set to 5% instead of 20% on that blue section. so about 3mm/second ( I changed my simplify3d to display mm/second instead of mm/min )