1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Getting LCD to print/anything

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lichaem69, Jun 29, 2015.

1. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I don't know about anyone else, but when i click on hyper links that link to another thread they don't work, so I am having trouble following what everyone else is saying in some threads, so I just made another thread in hope that I can get a little more help. I just started using repetier (never realized mattercontrol was so crappy) and it has worked beautifully, and I have installed my lcd display. When i plug it in the printer the display says reprap, and then goes to a screen that says 1 2 3 x000.0 y000.0 z+000.0 fr100% robo 3d ready. Now when i scroll with the knob nothing happens, and when i push the know down it beeps but nothing happens. I would like this LCD to work using repetier(the support structures are so much better). Any help would be appreciated.

Printed Solid likes this.
  2. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

This a video of my printer turning on but the knob button doesn't change the menu it only beeps

3. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Wait so it was working before with MC? And when you switched to Repetier Host it stopped?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Marquis Johnson, what you are asking is simply not possible with a change to slicing/printing software, since that is not how the LCD is controlled.

@lichaem69, did you properly enable the Full Graphic LCD in Configuration.h?

5. Marquis Johnson

Oh, I understand, that's why I am curious on what could have changed since or did it never work in the first place.

6. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I have never gotten the LCD to work. I have defined it in the marlin program in configuration.h and added the 8uglib(or whatever its called) to the library. I have saved and uploaded it to the arduino, and when i turn the printer on the LCD turns on and says reprap, and goes to the screen that says robo3d ready(this is shown in the video above). I have read most of the LCD threads on this forum that i could find, and I have watched several videos on YouTube (i think I watched yours Marquis as well). All the instructions are the same online, and I do not know what can be wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You may have to concede that it could be a defective screen.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't have that same type of LCD so I can't help you figure out what the operation sequence might be.
    I assume you have read the docs for it...
    If it really is misbehaving then @WheresWaldo is right, it is probably a bad LCD.

Do the read outs on the screen work (temperature, etc)?

9. Marquis Johnson

Yea, the LCD usually doesn't initialize if you messed something up in the firmware. The only other thing I can think about is that
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER //robo
    is still uncommented, but even then this shouldn't interfere with that LCD controller.

Is there anyway you could upload your firmware so that one of us could try it on our printer to see if the same error occurs?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

FYI, if #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER //robo is commented, it doesn't really matter, because defining the Full Graphics controller re-enables the Smart Controller. All you need is Configuration.h to see what is or isn't enabled.

@lichaem69, I am going to assume you did not play with any of the other source files?

Marquis Johnson likes this.
  11. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I have only done what these people did

Now I tried my screen again, and I actually got it to go to another page my pushing the knob, but only once. I noticed when it went to the other screen it only beeped once, while every other time I push it it seems to double beep(you can hear it double beep in the video above). Is there a way to change the knob setting so its not as sensitive to a single push?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, that is a hardware problem.

13. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

So I better go get another one. Unless someone knows how to fix it?