1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from Florida's Space Coast

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Aaron Mitchell, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Aaron Mitchell

Aaron Mitchell New Member

Hello all,

Just ordered my Robo3D and will receive it tomorrow. I am experienced with 3D printers, as I have had a Dimension1200 in my classroom for the past 8 years and I teach Solidworks in my Pre-Engineering Academy at a local high school.

This is my first personal 3D printer and was looking for the best quality under $1000...and it looks like the Robo3D will meet all my needs. While I am no expert with the Robo3D, if anyone ever needs help with solid modeling (esp. Solidworks) feel free to drop me a message.

Question for the community: What slicer does everyone use? Do you use the default by MatterControl, Cura, or some other program? If you have used more than one of these what are the best aspects of each? The slicer I use in my classroom is proprietary to the Dimension, and I have not used any other packages yet...

Best Regards,

Aaron Mitchell
    Melbourne, FL

Printed Solid likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Greetings. You are a bit east and south of me :) I am in Orlando.
    Best of luck.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mostly that.

The free slicers/printing frontends have each matured in their own way and some have gotten better (repetier and cura certainly have) others (like MC) not so much.

We use Solidworks to model with and Simplify3D for 99% of the printing.

Printed Solid likes this.
  4. Aaron Mitchell

Mark,

Is there a particular reason that you prefer the Simplify3D software over Cura or Repetier? Is it simply a workflow preference or does it provide features that the others don't? I just like to try and learn what I can about the various applications before I invest (time and money) into one.

Thanks again for the welcome from a fellow Floridian! :)

-Aaron

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It works.
    It is faster.

Do not buy it until you need something the free ones can't give you.
    (functional supports is probably the biggest reason to need it)

If you are clever with your designs you can avoid needing support material, much or often.

6. Aaron Mitchell

Thanks, Mark...I'll do some research ... I can build supports into models in Solidworks..not a big issue, but I did notice that feature when looking over the website...wasn't sure if Cura autocreated supports when necessary or not.

I've got lots of studying to do! :)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of them will create supports.
    How functional they are is the problem.

Originally when Cura made supports it was completely non-removable :)
    They have gotten better (all of them) but none of them are as easy to remove and defect free as Simplify.

Yes, doing them in SolidWorks is a good idea and we used to routinely do that, but now they are so easy to add/print/remove in Simplify I don't usually bother with it.

robert sanchez likes this.
  8. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Same here, I only design in solidworks and use simplify3d as my sole printing software since October of 2014.

Most of my stuff needs supports and simplify3d just does it very well.

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Aaron, happy to have you as part of our community. I just want to once again say I'm extremely sorry about the printer and receiving it with a broken y axis bracket. I will make sure we get you a replacement sent tomorrow!
    - Harry

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Awesome @Harry ! Good job.

11. Aaron Mitchell

As I had said yesterday, I am not sure if the damage occurred in shipping or that it was a QA issue (there was no external damage to the box, however). As a former manager of a technical support firm, I know that these sorts of things happen from time to time, but what makes a difference in a company is its technical support. I had mentioned an issue with noise being made during homing of the Y-axis on the Shoutbox yesterday. Mark Tomlinson, a volunteer and well-versed user, made a suggestion to check the bed for obstructions and that is when I noticed the broken rail support bracket. Before I had time to get the 800-number off of the box to call support, Harry had already taken care of the issue and setup to have a new part replaced and alerted me in the Shoutbox chat window.

For those of you out there considering the purchase of a Robo3D, you can confidently purchase the product knowing that this company has a great crew standing behind it to insure customer satisfaction. As a public school teacher, I can't say enough how important this is when making a purchase on my tight budget.

I want to thank Mark and Harry both for their help and hope that those who steer this company keep these points in mind as they continue to grow a successful company.

Great job to you both and again....thank you! You get an 'A'!

-Aaron

Printed Solid and Harry like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hey, if you get stuck you are close :)

13. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Aaron, I just want to let you know I just spoke with Brian and he got your replacement part request. He is going to get that shipped to you today. Please let me know if you don't hear back from him or if there are any issues. Let me know!
    - Harry
    Team ROBO 3D