1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D Printed Mini Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Projects' started by KTMDirtFace, Jul 17, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Oh I have also printed this one out the bigger brother of the one I posted. have electronics in my box of junk..just havn't got around to building it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:261145

2. cosber

cosber Active Member

I built this one and it turned out beautiful. Only problem is, I can't get it to fly. I broke 2 arms while trying to get it in the air and it was nice to just print new ones.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If Spektrum is not your cup of tea, the FrSky Taranis is every bit as good as a DX6, probably even better. Plus the ability to configure almost every single parameter using OpenTX and OpenTX Companion and a cost that lets you buy up in other areas. It is a much better choice for the non-sponsored flier than Spektrum.

@KTMDirtFace SimonK and BLHeli, I took every ESC I had and reflashed them with BLHeli, it is that good.

4. KTMDirtFace

@WheresWaldo - what diffrence does the reflash make? I don't understand what it does that makes it better.

I re-printed all the broken parts ( well the entire thing really ) and I changed motors. finally got a flight in today flew pretty well. Im flying in rate/manual mode and the roll rate and especially yaw rate is ridiculously slow so i need to figure that out.

[​IMG]

D3DStudios, MrScratch and Mike Kelly like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

6. KTMDirtFace

Scanned through the first two pages.. i still don't get it. the stock ESC settings do what I need.( control the throttle ). so what is the point in BLHeli or simonK?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace, I will say this only once. If what you use works, then don't switch. :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Now if people would JUST APPLY THIS LOGIC to the printer firmware...

Bill Monroe likes this.
  9. KTMDirtFace

Haha
    Thanks
    Got a few more flights in on the little guy. Fly's good I'm struggling getting used to it from fly helicopters though.

Slow yaw rate, which i guess is just a quad thing.. also I shot the quad into the air and then tried to bring it down fast. with my heli's I can negative pitch and pitch pump them..but the quad shut the motors off and started flipping/flopping haha. Thankfully I happened to be in Angle mode that time and gave it full power and it auto leveled.

Also decided to add FPV to it after flying my friends yesterday.. ( I have had the Headplay goggles on pre-order for awhile but got tired of waiting )

Goggles for now: ( they were in stock yesterday when i ordered and hovered on the page long enough that htey were closer to $50 )
    HobbyKing Quanum V2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=78126

Camera: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5LLBX0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 its a CCD IR blocking cam..apparently its still the favorite for FPV. I have some cheaper ones I have here on hand but the reviews said they suck for FPV

Video Receiver: RC832 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC20Y54?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I already have the Immersion 600mw. transmitter

Time to 3d print some cases soon for the Camera and the Immersion transmitter!.. and finish and my flight controllers case..the one on it now i just made a box super fast to hold it.. and test fit.

Edit: Oh i need to design and 3d print some sort of wire holder. my battery cable wants to go into the props lol. luckily it hasn't yet.

#29 KTMDirtFace, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  10. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Great Copter, but with some disadvantages...

I also printed the T4-Mini last year - http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/My-prints.3253/#post-29408

But now flying the flip32/Naze32 FC from Banggood with BL-Heli/active braking compatible ESCs. This makes a great difference in comparison to standard ESCs - and highly improves the flight performance!

What I do not like anymore about the T4-Mini is the inner arm wiring of the motors. In case of a arm break and I breaked many, the exchange of the arm including unsoldering/soldering takes too long. Fly now a ZMR Mini with 3D printed arms and this is repair wise more efficient/friendly.

BR

11. KTMDirtFace

I soldered tiny 2mm bullet connectors. I can just swap an arm by cutting some zip ties...all my crap almost doesnt fit in the lower tray though I kinda have to force it lol.

haha funny im about to print the HoverShip MHQ2 next.

12. cosber

cosber Active Member

I tried hard to get my "crap" in the lower tray but it was too crowded. Then I realized, Hey, I have a 3D printer, so I scaled it taller by about 1/2 inch and all fits now. Still can't get it to fly though...
    I wanted to get in the air so bad, I ended up buying a 3DR Solo copter, using my birthday as the excuse. Quads are a BLAST!!!

13. KTMDirtFace

I had a hard time setting mine up.

First I forgot to calibrate my ESC's so they were not spinning up at the same time..and it would just flip over.. then it took me all day to figure out how to calibrate them because my receiver has built in fail safe that prevents it from booting up with throttle at high..unfortunately you have to have the throttle at High to enter calibration mode. Then i had a lot of issues with Baseflight and my flight controller since I had never used it. Then i had issues with the crappy hobbyking motors..one of them is really grindy and was causing lots of vibes. I bought more expensive T-Motors now and they are great.

Flys pretty good now though.

#33 KTMDirtFace, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. KTMDirtFace

D3DStudios and Mike Kelly like this.
  15. KTMDirtFace

Added FPV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly its grounded... motor/esc #3 has had calibration issues from the get go. I got it calibrated ONCE..to where it would spool up in sync with the rest..it somehow lost that calibration for no reason and no matter what I do now ( recalibrated individually and all of them at once ) ..it will not work right..spins about 25% faster than the rest .. its flyable but drifts badly forward and to the right. not sure what to do.

May have to try BLHeli or SimonK like Waldo suggested? or get another ESC.

D3DStudios and Mike Kelly like this.
  16. KTMDirtFace

Haha this thing is a riot... 3 of us had them all with FPV today out at the flying field. a guy setup big yellow pylon Flags and a course to fly through. I had to fly in "Angle" mode where it auto levels which I cannot stand..but in manual/rate mode my board has some kinda issue.

I got the "bush flyer" nickname..I fly low and hot apparently.. only hit a sagebrush once. Then my video transmitter antenna got knocked down and went into the props..busted a prop and crashed really hard.. my ABS quad frame broke again.

Moving all my electronics over to the hovership frame now.

17. cosber

cosber Active Member

KTMDirtFace, where are you located?

18. KTMDirtFace

Bend, Oregon

19. KTMDirtFace

Hovership completed and maiden flight done. Flew great I changed flight control boards to a CC3D Atom seems much easier to setup and use with open pilot.

Printed all on the robo3d in PLA 0.2mm layer height and 40% infill on frame and 80% on arms and landing gear ( justPla brand from amazon ). printing a mount for my FPV gear now.

Mess of wires I didn't have the right connector to run PPM ( and actually the receiver and all those wires are going away i will just have a Orange RX sattelite receiver )
    [​IMG]

arms fold
    [​IMG]

Pre Maiden shot
    [​IMG]

Oh I found this on thingiverse and printed it for my battery connector..replaces the lower top plate. works awesome. had to do a little filing to get my connector in there but it works really great.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:776726\

[​IMG]

Weight: No battery no FPV gear but everything else ~13 OZ
    [​IMG]

WEight: Battery no FPV gear but e verything else: 1 pound 0.65 oz.
    [​IMG]

No idea how that compares to a carbon fiber framed quad.

#39 KTMDirtFace, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  20. KTMDirtFace

Hovership down!

[​IMG]

Ok 3d Printed quads SUCK..at least if your doing FPV... even the smallest of crashes or falls and its almost a full re-do.

I dont crash much flying LOS.. but this was FPV and i cliped a tree branch i didn't see. Shattered an arm. and two frame pieces.

#40 KTMDirtFace, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015