1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New to 3d printing and need help please

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 2001audis4, Jul 29, 2015.

1. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

So I recently purchased the robo 3d r1. Pretty cool machine. So I been playing with it for about a week now and got some prints. I want to try different slicers because I can't seem to get a good print with Slic3r. I'm making a arc reactor and the pieces are printing very rough. I tried different settings and nothing. How do I connect my robo to cura and is kisslicer good?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

I downloaded cura but when it prompt me for printer, it didn't have the "other" option.

4. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

Yes, using matter control right now. It's the only software I understand right now

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Download 15.04 instead of 15.06

You'll figure out more software soon enough. MatterControl is really bad

6. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

Ok. I have noticed my prints are not so good with mattercontrol. Thanks. I'm not good with forums but it helps a lot to ask others

7. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

You own a robo? How does your prints come out? Mine look like this. Then the support material is a pain to take off

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then switch to Simplify3D if support material is a big deal for you.
    Besides it is a much better program all around.
    Most of the free software is lacking in support for 'supports'

9. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

I was reading the reviews on it. Is it a one time deal, or is it like a yearly fee? And would I be happy with the software?

10. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

Another thing, does the simplified 3d make better print out off the back? Or gcodes?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those are all good questions to ask Simplify3D.

The license (IIRC) is for 3 machines and is a lifetime license. Ask them for specifics.

I have no idea what you are asking here. The slicer it uses is completely different so the gcode it generates is different.

12. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Licence is for 2 machines. lifetime. You can have them reset your licence.. I had to because a hard drive failed and I had to reinstall windows and it thought it was a 3rd machine..they had to reset it for me.

Its great.. I don't know if it makes prints any better than anything else but its easy to use and has a ton of options. It slices really fast too..some of the other ones take forever to slice.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I always hate this type of licensing, it presupposes you are a criminal and will use their program willy-nilly. Besides this if you have one printer but several machines you can only install this on two PCs and that sucks. Come on, it's 2015 and nobody wants DRM.

@2001audis4 I use Slic3r almost exclusively and always get good prints. If a print is f'ed up it is usually my own fault not the slicer. If you have any questions specific to slicer here is a good links
    http://richrap.blogspot.com/2015/01/slic3r-advanced-perimeter-tuning-3d.html
    http://makezine.com/projects/getting-started-with-slic3r/

14. 2001audis4

2001audis4 New Member

Hey thanks guys,I'm trying my best to master this. It's something I been wanting to do. I guess I thought it was a take out the box and start printing deal lol.

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

LOL NONE of them are like that. "yet"..sorry but its true. its a tinker hobby.

Although.. you should still be able to print something out of the box if their Quality control was better. in my opinion.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All 3D printer manufacturers want you to believe that 3D Printers are 'Plug & Play' and that 'if you can imagine it, you can print it'. Nothing is further from the truth. I have a library of parts that cannot be printed on my Robo no matter how much the manufacturer wants to say the word "anything you imagine". In order to get good consistent prints you will fiddle with calibration and slicer settings, then do it all over again. Will every print be perfect, that answer is NO, but most will and the few offshoots will only require tweaks to get right. It does take time to get there. 3D printers are not yet a consumer product, if you were expecting it to be, you will be disappointed. When you see the likes of HP, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung and other giants in the industry release printers to market, then most of these issues will be resolved. My only fear is that to solve many of these growing pains will move us away from the open nature of the hardware we have today. Could you just imagine HP releasing an inkjet that you as a consumer could modify on your own!

Anyway, keep plugging away at it. what I would do first though is go through all the calibration suggestions on this board. There is absolutely no sense in adjusting software parameters if the hardware isn't correct. The Robo is just barely functional out of the box and needs calibration. Second get a spool of better filament than that crappy blue stuff that comes with the printer, after calibration use up the blue filament and never look back. You already appear to have gotten a replacement for MatterControl, that's a good thing. Good luck on your journey.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a conversation with them they may work with you on the licensing numbers for non-commercial use. Even if they did not...their support alone is worth what I paid for the software (more so considering that the issues they fixed were not even theirs, but intrinsic model failures).

Still, it is a pity they do not have a cheaper/free/time-limited test version.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not ready to buy something yet, Meshmixer has support structures that just snap off clean, and I have Slic3r almost 100% accurate with ABS, and PET, just working on PLA is a bitch. I have a home network and one printer, there are three desktop PCs two I print from, two laptops, one I print from. One server and three Linux boxes, not to mention the smartphones and tablets we use. This reason alone makes me cringe at per machine licensed software.

Anyway, Slic3r in it's newest variant 1.2.9 does a pretty good job at every STL file I have thrown at it and If you want to use your PC/Laptop to control your printer it works from inside Repetier-Host. Personally I use it with LAN connected OctoPi. Slice on my PC then send to printer (OctoPi actually) direct from within Slic3r. I try very hard to orient my prints to not need support, but if I do, I can go to Meshmixer (free and I can install on every PC) then export the result, slice then print. I have never had an STL take more than 30 seconds to slice with Slic3r, so speed isn't a buying criteria.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not saying you are, just making sure the information here for others is clean and clear.

Nobody should buy Simplify3D without first having seen that the free software will or will not do what they need -- particularly so for hobby use. For professional use it still helps to try the others first, but I could see not wanting to bother.

They have outstanding support which helps as well (but is more important for non-hobbiest I imagine). In the 3D printing arena that can be a big differentiator because so few of the hardware or software options do.

P.S. I have killed slic3r (the new version) with some of our work and I have seen it take in excess of 20 minutes to do a slice :) The models make a huge difference. Although in my case I really don't care how long the slice takes as long as it is not unreasonably long (as in hours). Again, not everyone (or even most folks) are going to be in a situation where this even matters.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Of all the free ones Slic3r is still my straight-on favorite and it is the one we have used the most.
    It generally just works like a champ.