1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo or Flashforge Pro

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, Jul 23, 2015.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

If you could get just one printer this year, would you get a FlashForge Pro or a Robo 3D R1? (For less than $1300)

I realize this is the forum for the Robo, but I figured you guys could provide some impartial views. I had discounted the FF Pro due to figuring that just getting a Robo would save money. Then I moved over to thinking about getting a second printer due to some of the suggestions I had read. Since it would cost about as much for a Robo and a second printer as the FF Pro, my mind started considering it again.

While I am waiting to get a Robo, I figured that I would find out what you guys think. Yes, depending on what you say, you could convince me to get the FF instead. I just like considering all angles, and making an informed decision.

The ratings difference of the two on Amazon makes the FF Pro sound attractive. What sold you on the Robo, instead of the FF Pro or some other printer?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No clue what kind of support community there is for flashforge, but for the extra $ you are getting dual extrusion.
    That may or may not matter for you.

(build envelope is smaller)

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If I had the money I'd get the Flashforge Creator Pro, since I already have Simplify3D and Flashforge is somewhat well known for excellent customer support.

Not sure about the actual community, but they have a very active support staff that does some pretty good stuff for anyone that has a problem if you look at the Amazon reviews and responses.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

FF's seem fine IMO, it's mostly just kinda limited to what you can do on it.

Since it's basically just a replicator clone you're limited to a couple firmwares. Sailfish being the better option, which isn't super customizable like Marlin and arduino/ramps

I'm a tinkerer so I bought the robo and added dual extruders myself. More fun that way.

5. BenMac

BenMac Member

Mark, I do like the idea of dual extrusion. It would be nice to have one nozzle for printing water soluble support material, and the other printing another type of material. I also like that it is fully enclosed. That said, I could upgrade the Robo with both options. The build volume is certainly one detractor for the FF, I like the build volume of the Robo.

Daniel, I have heard several people say that Simplify 3D is really great. I would have to wait a while to buy it, or a few things, if I went with the FF. I really like how proactive they are with tier support. I think that is one of the big reasons why many people give it such high ratings.
    It really makes an impression on me when I see a manufacturer responding to negative posts on Amazon. I believe that Robo used to do that, but I suppose they are pretty busy lately. I think, more than dual print heads and print volume, the support is what makes FF so attractive. I like knowing someone has my back. Which is also what makes the 6 month parts warrantee of the Robo attractive.

Mike, most definitely, it seems much more limited than the Robo. I do like the flexibility and openness of the Robo. Though, how much of a tinkerer I am depends on my mood. When I am in a good mood, I am quite happy to fiddle around and improve things. If I am not in high spirits, I will find solutions to problems and fix them. If I am low, then I am more likely to just let something sit than get ticked. I am typically a methodical problem solver. So, the Robo may not be a bad fit for me.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a harder question to answer now than when I bought the Robo. Then it was the only thing going anywhere near that price.
    Now you can even get FF knock-offs from China cheaper than a Robo (yea, no support there). Still you have to make the choice.

7. BenMac

BenMac Member

Mark, very true, the selection of printers has become much more vast than in the past. The lack of support for those knockoffs is one reason I haven't gone for one of them, there is also a question of quality of parts. I know the Robo is continually being improved, with the company listening to, and using suggestions from the community.

You are quite right, but I really appreciate your input. It helps a lot. :)

I have seen this QIDI Technology printer on Amazon as well. It is a little more expensive than the Robo, but it has similar features as the FF. Which makes it a bit attractive. But I am a tad nervous about such an unknown company.

Edit: Added a little more

#7 BenMac, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. Johnny Yuen

Johnny Yuen New Member

Mark, I was in the same situation for the past month. I was debating between the Robo3D and the FlashForge, and I ended up choosing the Robo. My decision was based off of my experience with the customer service and user support. With the FlashForge, their hours are limited and I found it extremely difficult to get in contact with them. With Robo3D, I simply picked up the telephone and called them about some initial issues I was having with the printer (Nothing Big). I must say for the price and user support, no other printer can compare. Now from a few days of experience, this printer is not perfect out of the box, but I did save $300 dollars. But 3D printing is still new and over time I believe it will get better.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is the pearl of wisdom. Home/end-user 3D printing is really early days yet.

*edited for clarity

10. BenMac

BenMac Member

Johnny, Thank you for sharing your experience. Those are some excellent reasons to go with the Robo.

Both of you are quite right, Home 3D printing is certainly still in its early stages. But that is why good support (Both form the company and community), and a company that backs its product are really important.

I feel more confident in my decision to get a Robo, though I think I will still wait for the Plus. :)

11. daniel871

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of good printers in that price range :)

13. daniel871

Do they also come with change-able heads for printing chocolates/ceramics or swapping out for a laser engraver/cnc millhead?

14. BenMac

BenMac Member

It is a really cool printer, but I am mostly looking to get my feet wet. $1200 is the most I am willing to spend at this time. I might consider one of those in the future. It is really cool to see some of these multi-machines coming out. They are an exciting development, particularly if you want something that pretty much does everything.

For instance, there is the BoXYZ that will be coming out some time soon.

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

That BoXYZ looks awesome I have been waiting one but i'll wait till the first batch go out and see what people think of it. The 3d print head on it looks kinda oddball to me though.

As for Robo3d or Flashforge.

I have a Robo3d and Replicator 2 ( that i modded and put sailfish and a heated bed on it...so its basically the same as the flashforge now lol ). My friend has the Flashforge pro.

The flashforge he has worked great for him out of the box. It does not have a PLA cooling fan which is a bummer. Its well made and sturdy. Build platform is kinda small.. its even smaller than my replicator 2. Fully enclosed chamber helps if you want to print ABS. Dual extrusion is a pain in the ass. I wouldn't bother. we removed one of his nozzles just so it wouldn't get in the way or caught on his prints. He doesn't know anything about them and was having printing issues after awhile and left it with me for a day. ( Just needed the belt grabber wheels set screws tightened ). He prints character models he designs and only prints in .1mm quality and then paints them.

My robo had some QC issues out of the box. broken part, wire not connected. Also you will want to buy a LCD screen for the robo.

Luckily this forum and it not being my first printer helped. Other than that its mostly worked fine...its slower and noisier than the flashforge I think. The auto level works quite well though. My friend and myself hate leveling our beds on our Replicator/Flashforge machines.

#15 KTMDirtFace, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015