1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How do you use the onboard SD card reader?!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Harris, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Chris Harris

Chris Harris New Member

I only bought my R1 about a month ago so it should be with all the latest modifications by Robo.

I've found the little green light slot on the side of my R1 and have tried inserting my micro sd into it but I cant get it to load anything, I dont even know if the printer is registering the card. Ive tried inserting both with the card facing up and down in case I put it in the wrong way initially and still nothing!

Anyone have a helpful guide on this?

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Assuming you get the card loaded correctly (I can't remember which way the stock mounted either) then you have to launch the print from your software. So how you do that varies based on the software you are using.
    Here is a screen snapshot from Simplify (click on it to "embiggen" it) and you can see the buttons you would click to do this."Print From SD Card" opens up a list of all the GCODE files it finds on the SD card.

You must load and print from saved, sliced (GCODE) files not stl.

control.jpg

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Also, if you use an LCD controller at some point, all of the files have to be on the root directory of the SD card, you can't have things sorted into folders.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good point. I don't think any of the programs I tried would browse the directory structure, they all assumed the files were in the root.

5. Chris Harris

Chris Harris New Member

I didnt have the files in the root folder, Ill try doing it with the gcode files there. Im using matter control to do this but there is no notification or any way that I can see that notifies you when it reads that a card has been inserted so I have no idea if Im putting the card in correctly

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, Simplify does not 'notify' you that the card is inserted either. When you select PRINT FROM SD card it tries to read it and if it can it pops up the listing of files for you to pick one.

I no longer have the original one attached, I use the one on the LCD.

7. Chris Harris

Chris Harris New Member

I just tried it with the card facing up and had the gcode files in the root directory and it works fine! thanks for the help!

daniel871 and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Lee

Lee Member