1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Want a cleaner print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Roger42, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Roger42

Roger42 New Member

The prints turn out just great, I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to clean them up even more. As the design get's larger, the exterior shows the filament lines as it builds a new layer. Is there some sort of configuration I can make, or do I just have to sand down the finished print a bit?

From the picture you can see the filament lines as it adds a new layer, also, the underside of the chin looks a bit of a mess, any tips to make this look any better would be great.

Attached Files:

2. hybridman

hybridman New Member

Looks like you need a support under that chin - did you use one?

Roger42 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@hybridman is correct. You can only extrude so far in the air (bridging). Make sure the fan is at 100% for that, but if that doesn't cure it you may want support.

Roger42 likes this.
  4. Roger42

Roger42 New Member

Mind you I an new, this was maybe my 4th or maybe 5th print aside from the standard "cubes" Everything turns out just fine, I didn't think about support, than again, I'm not sure how to apply a support for that, at least not yet. This print was a download from "thingiverse.com" so all I had were .stl files.

I'm guessing that in order to be able to add the support I'll have to physically do that, or am I wrong is there another way?

But my bigger question still lies with the actual layer lines that present as the printer adds a new layer, what is the solution to minimizing or getting rid of those layer lines completely.

Thank you both for the suggestion about the support.

5. Frankn

Frankn Member

It's a setting. Some slicers list it under skirts and supports. You just X the block. Frank

Roger42 likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just fair warning, most free software has historically done a poor job of generating support material that is removable. It is a slicer setting, the slicer will add the support material when it does the slice or you can manually add it with your modelling software.

Play around with it and see.
    Be prepared to try different packages other than MatterControl (I hear Cura has gotten better at this recently -- it needed to it was originally one of the worst).

(I use Simplify3D and the added supports are pick-n-peel... they come right off.)

7. Frankn

Frankn Member

NOTE: In Cura slicer, there is a setting for putting a space between the support and the print. The support is only needed if the print sags. This space makes it easy to remove the support material. If you check support everywhere, it puts it in the internal area voids. This can be hard to remove. usually that support material is left in place. Frank

8. Paul Vladuchick

I'm using Slic3r and it makes really decent and easily removable support material. I do not recommend using the pillars, instead use the rectilinear type.