1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

mattercontrol

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by oldfarmhand, Aug 2, 2015.

1. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Hello all i am new to 3d printing so please don't roll your eyes when i ask this but,
    from reading forums about robo r1 most (not all ) people say don't use matter control and then they say to use
    something else. My question is why do the people that sell robo r1 push mattercontrol instead of a good program. When my robo r1 comes in i'm stuck with a program that doesn't work because i don't know how to add a good program so it makes me to want to send it back unopened because it sounds like it wont work out of the box like they said it would. can someone help me with an answer

2. Kirk

Kirk Member

Mattercontrol work fine for me until I got familiar with the processes ...it actually has quite a bit of options for beginner

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

No clue why they choose to do it that way. Maybe it was in planning to use the mattertouch screen?

Regardless, it is a free program and most of the alternatives are free too (until you want to step up your game a bit, then you have simplify3D for a few $$). Just download repetier host and you'll be good to go. if you're having trouble, one of us can help you out.

Robo's secret, and generally unappreciated, weapon is this forum.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. Kirk

Kirk Member

Very true statement.... I'm now using simplify3d and liking all the options.... But only because I understand most of them. If I would have started with it, it probably would have been a steeper learning curve.... I agree this is a great forum to have

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Printed Solid likes this.
  5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

yes. 'simplify' is really an odd name choice. awesome for sure, but it doesn't really simplify things... unless you're talking about post processing, it definitely does simplify that process.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Maybe it is an acronym...

7. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

thanks for the info. how do download another program and make it work with robo r1 without a lot of problems
    i'm not knocking mattercontrol but i tried to put 2 stl files on the print bed at the same time to print more than one part and still not been able to after 3 hours.
    what do yall think about crua is it hard to work with robo r1

8. Johnny Yuen

Johnny Yuen New Member

I used Matter Control for weeks, it is a very good starter program to get going. But you will begin to outgrow the program quickly because it is quite tedious for advance control. I just started using Cura and most likely won't ever go back to Matter Control. It's a great program and very user friendly.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

MatterControl is alright, but it's kind of the training wheels of slicer programs. Eventually you feel like you need something more.

It also comes down to business choices. They started with Repetier-Host but people found that too confusing for a beginner. Teaming Cura would have been the best choice, like what lulzbot does. But it sort of oversimplifies to the point where basic things (like jog controls) can be complex.

I really wish mattercontrol would fix their program but they seem more committed to messing around with the UI layout than actually improving the quality of their software.

10. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Thank you tor your reply
    I just wish that there were more videos that would teach newbies how to use i like me.
    It would make more people an ailey of the program and then we could give small inputs to improve it Isn't that what open source is about. It would only take about 10 (15 minute) videos to really teach a newbie from start to completed part.
    Heck i'm still trying to understand if you can edit a stl or not (can you?)
    I've watched as many as i can find on youtube about 10 from matter control and some of them copies of the same videos

11. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

You can edit an stl as far as scaling it and turning it in slicer. If you want to actually edit an stl you have to use meshmixer or tinkercad or something along those lines.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

STl is an export from a 3D modeling program as @jbigler1986 mentioned.
    That (3D modelling) can really be a bit of work to learn how to do it correctly for printing.

13. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Do you think yall will make any start to finished part videos using mattercontrol it sure would help those of us that are trying to jump on the 3d printing band wagon using a robo 3d RI ( im trying to sell you on it by the way :) )

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I decline. I do not use it nor care for it.
    Perhaps someone else will step up to the plate, but bear in mind that it is the lowest common denominator in printing software.

It would really be up to matterhackers to fill that void (they wrote it). Have you checked their website?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It would not be a bad idea for Robo to publish a starter video using it perhaps... maybe they will :)

17. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Thanks for the response
    I like your honesty
    The problem I have found is it seems no one likes it.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What I would *LOVE* to see would be some start-to-finish guides on creating a 3D model and making it work for printing all the way over to printing it on an FDM printer. That would be really useful. Simplify3D has a good set of tutorials, but they don't go back to the first step really and the printing side of it is targeted at their software (unsurprisingly)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has problems. Granted it makes a good starter program I guess, but people who are learning printing are going to outgrow it and have to learn something else.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

mark tomlinson likes this.