1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How to use Netfabb to remove self intersections?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Louis Tiger, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I've downloaded netfabb basic and have been trying to use it to fix up my stl files. One that I was working on (attached) has a lot of self intersecting meshes which I've tried to fix using the following procedure:

Actions->detect self intersections
    Repair scripts tab ->remove self intersections choice from drop down menue ->execute->apply repair.

This doesn't seem to actually do anything. What am I doing wrong? Can netfabb fix these kinds of intersections so they print solid?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Attached Files:

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Netfabb basic is limited in its ability to fix some issues.
    What you should do is boolean all of these sections together in your design program before you export to STL. Netfabb is useful for fixing other people's bad files, but for yourself, it is always better to learn how to just not make bad files :)

Netfabb Pro can fix this, and if someone else doesn't offer to do it by the time I have access to my license later tonite, I'll fix it for you.

3. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

That would be much appreciated. I'm undecided on whether to splurge on netfabb pro.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Here you go

Attached Files:

Louis Tiger and Mike Kelly like this.