1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is the E3D V6 still a worthwhile upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NeuralChris, Aug 21, 2015.

1. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

I should receive my new R1 ABS+PLA on Tuesday and have been watching YouTube videos galore on upgrades and obviously everyone talks about upgrading to the E3D all metal hot end, but I know these new Robos have an all metal hot end from the factory. Is this still a worthwhile upgrade or does the stock hot end work well enough?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it works, use it.
    I would not consider upgrading unless you have a specific reason (like the need to work on or replace parts of the hotend).
    The E3D has a better quality build and is a bit easier to work on and find parts for, but functionally it is the same.
    Use the hexagon until you have problems, many never do.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I have no problem with the hexagon hot end. Works just fine.

Only reason I'd go to an e3dv6 is if I wanted to print with flexible materials a lot

supinemonkey likes this.
  4. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I'm a relatively new 3D printer user and I just made the switch from the hexagon to the V6. It took me a while because I can only work on the job at night time after all my after work "to-do's" are done. I will say it was a pain in the butt with doing the install which included drilling out the extruder for the bowden tube and what seemed like a boatload of wiring and what not.

would I do it again? absolutely not. my hexagon head was just fine but I did want to start playing with some Ninjaflex material so that's why I decided to take the plunge. just make sure you also order the stud thermister from printedsolid.com so you don't have to screw around with modifying your firmware.

I probably would have finished sooner but I'm a major perfectionist so I took my time with making sure everything was done right the first time.

#4 Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

As you see, some may state the old "if it isn't broke don't fix it", but in my experiences, I've found the all-metal to be probably one of the best investments in the long run. Flexibility in material heating temperature is just one thing. Save up for a rainy day and upgrade when all breaks loose. :)

6. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to print with NinjaFlex on my hexagon with just doing the ink tube mod. Now the biggest issue is figuring out how to print somewhat complex objects that need support material with NF since it's terrible for that.

7. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

The hexagon that comes stock on the R1 is all metal.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Technically, the Hexagon is more 'metal' than the new v6 E3D (which needs a bit of a PTFE liner).

The hex is a fine hotend, not quite the quality of the E3D, but good.