1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated bed comparison

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Aug 19, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. Frankn

Frankn Member

I have given this a lot of thought. They placed most emphasis on the heater elements.
    What I was considering was the base material heat conductivity. ie GLASS.
    Glass is unlike a lot of other materials used for build platforms. I learned a lot using a glass frying pan.
    I could wash the inside of a glass frying pan and thus cool it while the bottom of the pan remained to hot to touch.
    What this all means is that glass is a slow conductor of heat. As a result, I always preheat the bed first and even let it ' simmer'
    a while before starting a print. I only wish the complete bed was heated. If they came out with a whole bed heater retrofit, I would be first in line. LOL Frank.
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even if you let it get to temperature first, some of those heaters are just better (and other worse) at maintaining the temperature correctly. Well explained and nice video snippets.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I wonder if an aluminum bed would be better, or maybe an aluminum heat spreader under the glass. I have ton's of problems with ABS warping, that is why I switched almost exclusively to PETG (with a tiny bit of nylon thrown in, but it warps a bit also).

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone on here did an aluminum bed as I remember, at least as a temporary fix.
    Maybe they can speak up on how well it worked.

It does seem like if properly done aluminum would have some advantages, but then again... maybe not.
    It will transfer heat quicker (both ways--hot and cold).

It could be more of an issue with the style/type/design of the bead heaters used or perhaps the power supplied to them.

6. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

This explains alot of my ABS warping issues.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Eh I think this article kinda exaggerates the issue. I print ABS just fine, granted my garage is not an air conditioned 72degrees. Warping is more a factor of external temperature variance than adhesion to the bed.