1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from Philadelphia first 3d printer. ( EVER)

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Dokku34, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

Hey guys i just bought the robo 3d r1 and i am so freaked out with how much i have to learn about it. i will be on this forum alot because i want to get the most out of my 3d printer. i hope to learn from other users and then help others that are having problems.
    I am excited nut mostly really terrified of failed 3d prints.

Printed Solid likes this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Welcome! Failed 3D Prints will happen and it's no big deal :) It's all part of the process. You'll get plenty of good ones too.
    I'm in Newark, DE just a little ways from you, so feel free to reach out if you get stuck.

3. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

Hello Dokku34
    Plan on doing a "LOT" of reading, this forum is full of people having the same problems you'll be having. The core group of guys here are great. They where the reason I bought the Robo. Like Printed Soild said, failed prints will happen, but you should take it as something to learn from and not a falure. Try to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. If you get stuck, ask here and someone will help you out. Makes the completed print all that sweeter. YouTube is another good place to research on 3D. So have fun and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

4. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

Than you guys right now the biggest issue I have is getting my pla prints to stick and not warp. I have never used a forum before but I figure someone can point me in right direction.

5. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

I mostly use glue stick or hair spray. Blue painter tape works good too. Just remember to keep the glass clean. I'm printing a 3x2x2" PLA print right now, used glue stick. Temp 210, bed 60, in 2 1/2 hrs of a 3 1/2 hr print. Had a side of 1 of the large holes lift up and the hot end knocked the print loss. 2nd time around, I watch the print as it laid down the top of the holes and leaved the lifts till enough material was laid down to span the tops.

Dokku34 likes this.
  6. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

OMG i just followed what u said and i got my first non warp print i am so excited i cant believe it its real. THank you alllll

7. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

Almost better then Xmas, LOL... Check out doodaddoes on youtube. Good problem solving vids for basic printing. Sorry on my tablet, don't know how to post links with it yet.

8. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

Hello I am back again I got some good prints from my printer but now since I am trying to print bigger objects my printer is skipping layers. For some reason it is printing the piece in parts. It will start out fine then all of a sudden it will have small gap in layer all the way through and then print normal again. I don't know what I should do to solve this. Is it a problem with the object it self or my printer is just skipping layers.

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

please post some pictures

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is a model others have used then it is probably not the model.
    If it is a model you created yourself then sanity check the model by running it through repair tools in NetFabb free edition or MS Azure:

https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/

(need to sign in with an MS account, but free)

11. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

Dear mark and others sorry for the late reply. I will try to do that hopefully post pictures tmrw. I will try to print object again. I just wanted to add that I have installed a oiler and the last time when I printer the model I was hearing clicks coming from my hob bolt, but after I installed the oiler it stopped. Would abs be a more suitable option here. I will link the object that I tried to print. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/veiled-woman-at-the-louvre-paris-6479 As you can see The object is fairly large so I resized it so it would fit. I am using hatch box blue transparent pla with my extruder at 210 and bed is at 60. I used .2 layer thickness and 25% infill. Thank you guys for the help.

12. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

okay I did some more research and found out that my layers are separating. since the heat from the bed is not reaching high enough to the top of the model it is casing the layers to separate. is there a solution to this problem and what tips can you give to printing bigger models.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would only be true for ABS.
    PLA can be printed nicely with no heated bed.

14. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

I will try to attempt the figure again with slower speeds and higher nozzle temp to see if it would help. I will post pics soon. Till then what do you recommend I should do to print bigger objects

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Higher temperatures are not a solution. In fact it can make things worse if you push it to high.
    If you are printing well with no stringing then the temperature is likely fine.

If the first layers are printing well it is unlikely to be a temperature issue unless you have the slicer dropping or raising temperature significantly after the first layer is put down.

17. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

My first layers lays down perfect no lifting of any sort and currently I am printing the object again but this time my extruder temp is 220 with no stringing and my bed is at 60. So far I don't see any problem. I used the cura slicer instead of MC. MC kept telling me that the object was to big when the dimensions fit perfectly with robo 3D specs. I did not calibrate the extruder because I didn't know that you can but I will once I see what the results are from this print I will be posting pictures here. This is what it has print so far I have chosen a different model that also last time failed but here is a pic of what I have so far. image.jpeg

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looking good so far

19. Dokku34

Dokku34 New Member

Okay so this is the problem I am running in to now had to stop the print. Is it a cooling issue I have no idea where to go from here image.jpg

20. Printed Solid

Staff Member

what settings are you using for #of perimeters and infill?