1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered What could cause these artifacts?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by yfed, Oct 6, 2015.

1. yfed

yfed New Member

Could anyone shed light on what could possibly be shedding the outer perimeter defects shown in the attached photos?

Hardware:
    • Z-axis Lead Screw Upgrade (white lithium grease applied)
    • Hatchbox PLA 1.75mm filament
    • X-axis and right z-axis LM8UU bearings replaced recently.
    Software:
    • MatterControl slice engine on low preset.
    • Only parameter modified is the z-offset to +0.54 via LCD controller, everything else is on default

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jeremy hampsten

What setting are you printing at? I tend to get that when im doing fast or medium. I think its something to do with speed. Sometimes i get it if i have old ink.

3. jeremy hampsten

Oops, yeah i didnt see you said low. Thats probably it.

4. yfed

yfed New Member

I will give medium/high quality preset a go. Do you see any signs of underextrusion?

5. jeremy hampsten

I'm no expert but from my experience it looks like you have a good print, just low tends to have those gaps here and there. I dont see anything in particular that would look like under extruding, usually it looks like you missed a layer or shifted a print.

Print the calibration cubes to test for a quality that you feel is satisfactory, once you get that then do your real print. Saves you time and money.

6. janot928

janot928 Active Member

how öutch outline perimeter do you have ?

7. yfed

yfed New Member

Outer surface perimiter is set to 2 mm (or count). Avoid crossing perimeters is enabled, and spiral vase and external perimeters first are both disabled in MatterControl.

8. janot928

janot928 Active Member

ok... no idea then sorry

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The prints look pretty good, but I see a few small things there. What artifact are you talking about specifically? The worst artifacts are the little sparse lines towards the end of each layer. Is that your concern? Switching off of mattercontrol to something with more actual control will help.
    If you hadn't said what slicer you were using, I'd guess that you were using something with a coast setting where it stops extruding a small amount before the end of each layer. Matter Control doesn't have a setting like that, so it must be something in the defaults. Bumping up temperature a bit might help and bumping extrusion ratio might also help.
    If matter control has an option to turn off the randomize start point options, do that as well.

10. jeremy hampsten

So i am starting to have the same issues, i use simplify 3d. I increased the temp and didnt see a difference. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Attached Files:

11. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445597590.791031.jpg
    Same thing here, I was just about to create my own thread but I came across this one. I'm getting these blobs on the skin but decreasing the speed seemed to help a little. The thickness of skin is set to 1.5 and I can see the honeycomb through the skin a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk