1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed crashes moving forward?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SteveDjarrell, Oct 9, 2015.

1. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

Ok Robo masters I have a question. Recently my y axis belt end broke. I have since fixed that one then printed a new one. With that in mind, Now after that when the bed moves all the way forward for the autolevel (back three spots) it crashes all the way forward. It is almost like it is off by 4mm. I have rechecked the belt, I have watched it as the bed moves front to back and the belt stays centered on the drive pulley. I am curious if any one has an idea as to what may be causing this or a possible fix? I was thinking I could change the machine settings to alter the travel on the y axis but I should not have to do this. Thank you for any input, Steve

nitrams0 likes this.
  2. nitrams0

nitrams0 New Member

I do not have an answer but respond with a hearty, "Me too!".

Steve, I appreciate you taking the time and writing this up. I am also puzzled with what has happened. I guess in my case belt maybe a little bit smaller. I tried changing settings to adjust the bed size, but it does not make a difference.

I look forward to input from some of the more knowledgeable members.

Thanks , Sean

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SteveDjarrell likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Y axis home sensor is how the Aurduino 'knows' the bed is homed.
    It doesn't care bout the bed size on the home position. It will drive the Axis 'home' until the limit switch triggers.

Look at the position and function of the Y axis limit switch. Make sure it is working and properly connected to the RAMPS.

I suppose you could get similar behavior if the Y belt were really loose, but I doubt it.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The belt tensioner might not be in the slot enough if you had to redo the cable. Make sure it's all the way in when the belt is tensioned

SteveDjarrell likes this.
  5. Clayton

Clayton Member

I had the same problem with my new ROBO3D R1+. I was told to change my machine settings but it didn't help. Mine was caused by the ribbon cable for the heated bed not being flush with the back-bottom of the printer. Flattened it out and I was good to go.

nitrams0 and SteveDjarrell like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cables getting in the way is a common reason for this.
    Something stopping the travel...

SteveDjarrell and nitrams0 like this.
  7. SteveDjarrell

Thank you all, I started looking at the belt connectors and they are not all the way in but the belt did not break, the connector did so the belt is the same length. I did adjust them a little to allow more movement forward. But what I found was the problem was indeed the ribbon connector. There was too much of it under the bed and would get caught up when moving the bed all the way forward. I adjust this and bingo, no more crashing. Thank you all for the information. I never would have thought it was the ribbon.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. nitrams0

nitrams0 New Member

My issue was the ribbon cable also. My printer has been making that horrible sound for so long, I almost MISS the grind!

Good call!

Thanks everyone.

9. SteveDjarrell

Glad you got fixed also. I agree is sounds different now....

nitrams0 likes this.