1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered ROBO R1 +

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JOAQUIN PICCI, Jan 19, 2016.

1. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I have an R1, i would like to get an R1+, but i wanted to know the exactly what changed.
    Im from Argentina, i knew about the lead screw.. but are there more upgrades?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you simply do the Lead screw upgrade, either the Robo3D one or the one posted I posted here. Download and/or make the appropriate change in Configuration.h of Marlin firmware, you will have the +PLUS.

The biggest difference between the two is that the one I designed does not require replacing motors and is a lot cheaper than the Robo3D one. You will also need to print two small parts for the version I made.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The other changes are minor.
    The way the hotend mounts has changed (there is a quick release plate now).
    In terms of actual function not much else has changed.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you need the quick release plate there is a model on thingiverse that can be printed in PETG or similar filament, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1192896, you might need to scale it down in the Z dimension if you are using it with the original Hexagon Hotend.

5. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

The thing is that i need another printer. So my doubt is either getting a Robo r1 or a Robo r1+

I dont know if this is the place to talk about it, but considereing i already have a Robo R1.. Would you buy another printer brand? Which one?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For the size of the print area the Robo is still a good price/printer.
    Plus you are already familiar with it :)

If you can get the R1 a lot cheaper than the R1+ and if fine detail is not your worry then go for that.

7. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

great. Last question. If i need quality in tiny details the only alternative is a resin printer?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It depends on how much quality you need and how fine those details are.
    You have to be the judge.
    With the Robo you can go to a smaller nozzle (and slower print speeds) and do really fine detail. If the printer is well tuned you will get nice prints. Can it do the level of detail you need at those resolutions? I couldn't say.

On any model if you need really superior detail then SLA or DLP will always win and on smaller models it will easily win.

You need to do some testing at the levels of resolution you want. I have been quite happy with the Robo on most all models, but find myself now needing to do much smaller ones (a few square inches max) with really high resolution (0.05 at max... sometimes finer) and that is just not feasible with this type of printer.

Without knowing your requirements I can not really say if it will suit your needs or not :)

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@JOAQUIN PICCI everything to do with 3D printing is a compromise, You will have to decide just how much detail you want. If the bulk of what you model are small figurines or things that require good surface detail and finish then maybe a printer like the Form1+ or Form 2 would be a better choice, or you could ease your standards a bit and go with small nozzle diameters, low layer heights and the resulting exponential slowdown in printing speed and still use an FDM style printer.

It's not that it cannot be done with an FDM style printer like the Robo, it's just you have to have the correct expectations about the final quality of your prints. Your expectations need to be tempered with factors such as intended use, model quality, model and detail precision, etc.

10. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Great, i understand. It's difficult to get another FDM printers recomendation from you guys .. lol.

11. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I would try a 0.25 nozzle. I hope its easy to set it up on the slicer.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is just a setting (maybe two since you want to adjust layer height as well).
    Also, you need to slow down print speed. I always do a linear relationship between nozzle size and print speed. That works well.

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't mind suggesting them, but other than the Flashforge I have not used other FDM machines to any great extent.
    The limitations you will hit are not going to be Robo specific though.

Geof likes this.
  15. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

That Flashforge clone is a good printer? Great. So if i dont mind spending money, and i go and get a Flashforge creator pro... Would be a good choice? Is it better than Robo R1?

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

i'd imagine you'll get the same end results as you would with the robo but as with most things i think it will all be opinion on what machine is best. kind of like what car is best

17. romero3d

romero3d New Member

Joaquin, Im from Argentina as well,
    Im new on this technology, I have my RoBo like one year (I love it), I don't going to give recommendation but you can go and check the Volume 48 of Make Magazine (makezine.com) where they tested a lot of 3d printers, I love this magazine and I trust them.
    Saludos.

18. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I just want a 3d printer that can get good details in small objects. I'd love to use an Ultimaker 2 but they use 2.85mm filament,

19. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Eh. Depending on just how small/detailed you mean, you may be talking SLA and forgoing FDM altogether.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly. We don't have any idea how fine the details need to be and at what resolution.
    FDM is good, but not as good as SLA/DLP.