1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved 20 Hr Print Quits Extruding at 7 Hrs every time.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris MeaD, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Hey Everyone,
    I am having an issue I can't figure out. I modeled this semi-sphere with pockets that I am trying to print. Its a very simple model but it is large. Its 8" in diameter and 4" high. I am new to 3D printing I have had some issues in the past but I feel I have been getting the hang of it lately. I've printed a dozen or so things and all have been successful. Once I figured out my offset for the starting layer.

IMG_2359.JPG

So I have printed this model twice and the print stops extruding at around 7 hours both times. They quit at the exact same height the extruder just stops putting out fillament. It doesn't seem to be clogged if it is a clog would it clog at the exact time 7 hours in? The extruder keeps moving as if fillament is coming out but its not.

Also I'm using Robo Brand PLA i'm running at 210 for the extruder and 50 for the bed temp.

I've printed a few other things since then and they are printing fine. nothing as long as 7 hours though...

Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems odd to me.

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try seasoning. The sorts of clogs that PLA causes are not hoover dam style clogs.
    The filament just sticks to the inside of the nozzle and pretty much just stops extruding.

Frustrating, I know. It had me tearing my hair out when it started after almost a year of using the printer.

The oiler is a permanent solution, but seasoning alone will work for a while.
    (see the sticky thread on this)

3. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Yeah I saw the thread. I didn't know if that was it due to it quitting at the exact same place each print. The odds of a clog exactly 7 hours in made me thing i might be something else.

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, it could be an issue with the model and/or slice, but those symptoms sure sound like PLA just being PLA.
    It bit me after swapping to a new nozzle and I had no clue WTF....I couldn't print a single longer term model.
    Test models or shorter term ones would work, but let it go for a few hours and WHAM! I had started with ABS so that probably delayed me running it to it some as well.

Seasoning sorted it (once I discovered that trick) and then I just added an oiler to avoid it.

If yours is not that issue it will not hurt to try it.

5. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

So an update on this. I bought Simply3D and used it to try to print and it printed it perfectly. Is there any reason on a large print MatterControl won't work / quit printing. I'm just going to start using Simply3D from now its a lot more complicated but I'm sure I can figure it all out eventually.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You would be more likely to get an answer for that here:

http://matterhackers.com/community/forum

I just never deal with slicer issues any longer. Too much headache. If you have Simplify3D use it.

7. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Yeah that seemed like the general consensus from everywhere I read.

Thanks!
    Chris.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not trying discourage you from getting an answer :)
    I just got feed up with chasing slicer related failures and once I got Simplify I never did again.
    (and if I do find a bug they have support)

9. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

I completely understand. I'm in the same boat as you I think. I really like simplify3D and I'm just going to stick with that.

Thanks for the help/guidance!

Chris.