1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA Microcenter Inland PLA

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Don't know if anyone else has used this before, and I am only a sample size of one, but as far as the roll of gold PLA I got, it is nearly as bad as the blue sample PLA that comes with the Robo. I don't know who their supplier is and I hope it is not the same as their PETG (supplied by eSUN). My recommendation is to stay away and don't be lured by the cheap price.

Some of the symptoms: Wouldn't stick to the bed no matter how it was prepared. Always seems to be under-extruding. Required higher temperatures than other PLA filaments I have used. No two consecutive prints came out the same. The one good thing was, after tweaking every single setting, and I mean every one, I could print fairly fast. Final settings were about 50 mm/sec at 210°C, 60°C bed, treated with hairspray. I am going back to Hatchbox and eSUN for PLA, although I might give JustPLA a try.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Haven't tried that.

JustPLA works good.

I don't like hatchbox's PLA.

3. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I've used a ton of Inland filament... mostly ABS but a healthy amount of PLA as well. Maybe 3-4 rolls of PLA and 5-6 rolls of ABS. I won't say I've never had a problem (ABS is just a pain all around, no matter the vendor... I think). It's actually one of my favorite filament vendors for both price & quality.

That said, I've mostly used white, with a little brown (PLA), grey (ABS), and glow-in-the-dark (PLA). Maybe gold is crap.

Cbrown and Jaystephens3D like this.
  4. Jaystephens3D

Jaystephens3D Member

I second jediknight0 inland is my go to for basic PLA or ABS. They actually have a pretty good range of really good looking colors. They even have PETG and flex now. I have been using it pretty much since day one. and I got a buddy who has been printing for 5 years now using it, and he has switched over as well.

Cbrown likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Inland PETG is rebranded eSUN. No problem with it. Please note that my only experience is with their gold PLA, and each color means a different additive was used. It could be that only their gold is problematic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. jediknight0

For what it's worth, my first ever roll of PLA (from qu-bd, my first printer vendor) was gold. It was crap as well.

7. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Note on Just PLA.. it prints great, I have used it a lot, its spooled TERRIBLE. It gets tangled soooo often. I just threw my clear spool in the trash I'm so tired of it. Gonna order a roll of Esun PLA, esun's stuff seems to be spoooled very nicely.

I bought a few rolls of JustPLA in orange on amazon awhile back when it was on sale for $15, havn't had an issue with those but EVERY other color i have had has been spooled really bad and tangles ( I have had a lot of them )

8. TommyFilth

TommyFilth New Member

I use it all the time, I run it at 200 and use Treseme hairspray as a bed adhesive.

9. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

Hi. I'm thinking very hard about picking up the r1 plus on Friday, mostly using Inland as Microcenter is available locally. What do you find works well with Inland PLA and/or PETG? I've got some Aqua net and glue stick if need be, and whatever settings/mods you can recommend as reliable would be most welcome.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Inland PETG is relabeled eSUN, it works very well for replacement or upgrade parts, much better than any PLA.I use hairspray almost exclusively.

The R1+PLUS is pretty complete as is, if anything, adding an LCD smart controller can make using it much nicer as you can print using the supplied SD card and traverse the menus, without physically using a PC to control printing.

Geof likes this.
  11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also a dual parts fan is a good idea if you plan on printing a lot of PLA.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a pretty great little printer that's not so little :). I have the r1+ and did the dual fan mod (super easy and cheap) and the reprap xxl controller. I'd buy another.

13. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

Yeah, I wound up getting one a couple weeks ago. Solid as a freaking rock. Puts my old i3 to shame. I've used mostly Inland PLA with it so far with no special adjustments or anything. Just the occasional dose of Aqua Net.

Haven't decided if I want to mod it any. So far it's working fine for me, though I'm curious about the LCD screen & controller. I just need to watch the install video and see how it strikes me. Anyway, very glad I went with the R1+.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Install from @Printed Solid (www.printedsolid.com) takes 10 minutes tops. It's plug and play. Power off the robo, remove the bottom cover(go slow as the fan doesn't have much wire), follow the cables from the mini ad slot on the side, unhook from the board and remove the card reader, route the wires as you see fit, plug in the adaptor (only can go one way in one place) put back together power on and start printing via the included sd card :). It took me longer to drink my beer then total install lol

Edit: I believe I paid 69.00 for it on the website, he is awesome as always. Can't recommend high enough.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I print a lot of pla so I jumped on thingiverse and printed out the stuff for a dual fan (clip on). Drastically improved my print quality with pla

ImaginationToForm likes this.
  16. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

I got the inland filament this weekend blue and translucent which it wasnt labeled as but seems to work grat it was only 14.00 so im going to go get more soon.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  17. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

I'm using the Inland silver PLA, 200 degrees, bed at 60, gluesticked. Seems to work fine. My problem was for so long I only used ABS, so switching took some work figuring out settings and getting my printer cooling fan working again. I've used Inland white ABS for my building models before and it is horrible to work with, I had to do an ABS slurry on my print bed to get anything to stick, and it would still shrink and crack awfully, but others have told me that the white is horrible no matter the manufacturer.

18. jediknight0

Funny. I've used a lot of Inland White ABS both with gluestick and now with PEI and had a reasonable time... as far as ABS goes.

Most of this (functional) lightsaber was done with it.

Attached Files:

19. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

That's an extremely neat print. I think part of my problem with ABS is that the printer is on our computer desk, right next to the great room, and it's usually cool. I wonder if I'd have much more success with it if I had a heat enclosure. Don't have the time to build one now but am thinking about it for the summer, when the AC and fans are blowing full blast.

20. jediknight0

You can always make a poor-man's enclosure with aluminum foil & tape...

Attached Files: