1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Uneven Vertical Surfaces (Cylinder)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vader1974, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Vader1974

Vader1974 New Member

I have an Robo3d R1. Printing in PLA (200 degrees, 60 degree bed). Simplify3d. .2mm layer

I did not have this problem prior to recently switched to E3D V6Lite. Bed adhesion is good with slight elephant foot, but vertical surfaces are terrible (less noticeable on smaller diameter pieces. X and Y axis are tight.

I ran PID autotune and changed the PID settings - No real change

What could be the problem?
    1. Part Cooling Fan at different angle due to having to switch fan mount for E3D setup
    2. Over Extrusion (Extrusion Multipler .95)
    3. Any ideas?

Now:
    IMG_9454.JPG

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A couple of suggestions, lower the acceleration values in Configuration.h, somewhere around 800-900 is about all the printer can really do without causing surface imperfections. Second, upgrade to real lead screws, either do the one I posted in Mods on the cheap or do the official one from Robo, it will help a lot.

Lowering the acceleration numbers will also have the side benefit of sharping up the corners somewhat, so edges will be a bit sharper.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are a number of threads on Z RIBBING -- use the search for that if you want to read through the suggestions, but if it really is an R1 (not an R1+) then leadscrews might be the best (and only real) solution.

4. Vader1974

Vader1974 New Member

Ok, so I need to change the following line from:

define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

to

define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {900,900,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 900 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 900 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

Additionally, I am pretty sure that I have a R1 instead of a R1+. I recalibrated my Extrusion Multiplier and that help a great deal.

Thanks
    Brian

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The retraction acceleration values don't matter at all, since it has nothing to do with actual head movement. Try those by printing a long hollow rectangle with a few perimeters and you will see that the sides will look better, you may still need to tweak the setting some. I don't like wavy straight sections so I am down to 800 Max acceleration, but maybe you are okay with a bit of a wave so 1000 might be the correct number for you. It's all about compromises. I did my lead screw upgrade for less than $30 buying everything from China, cheaper than the Chinese via San Diego Robo upgrade and did not require any motor swapping.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like a loose pulley set screw to me