1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print speed..etc

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KTMDirtFace, Feb 6, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

So I have two printers, a Robo3d R1 modded with e3dV6 and lead screws.

My other printer is a Replicator 2, modded with BC Technologigal solutions's aluminum arms and their heated bed http://www.bctechnologicalsolutions.com/

I noticed in simplify3d, by default the replicator 2 settings default to 80mm/s speed, and the robo defaults to 60mm/s speed.

I have not tried printing at 80mm/s on my robo, but the replicator2 works awesome at 80mm/s

Is there a reason for this? does my replicator have better motors? What do they use to determing the default print speed?

Also the robo3d is extremly noisy compared to the replicator2. Is it cheaper bearings or what?

Thanks.

That said I use the ROBO3d more often, and i'm not sure why, its probably because of the big build platform and the auto tramming/leveling. I use it way more often and it cost over 2x less.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably... among other things.

Max speed depends on the type of steppers used and whatever gearing there is between them and the print platform.

3. KTMDirtFace

Looked closer at my Repicator2, it has brass bushings on the rods rather than linear bearings. Is the linear bearings where all the noise comes from on the robo?

Thanks Mark, just wondering if my robo3d can print at 80mm/s and if it can't what is the reason.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace If you go to the Mods sub-forum and look for my post either in the Y axis bearing upgrade or X Axis upgrade there is a short 1 minute video that shows how quiet you can get the Robo if you swap out the LM8UU for brass bushings. As a matter of fact the only LM8UU bearings left in my Robo are on the Z axis since it moves so slowly and generally in one direction only during a print, no need to replace those.

Jaystephens3D and KTMDirtFace like this.
  5. KTMDirtFace

Yep saw both of your posts, I may do that mod. Thanks

Jaystephens3D likes this.
  6. Jaystephens3D

Jaystephens3D Member

I think I am jumping on that as well!

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I suspect the steppers or the gearing is different like I said.

It may be moving less mass around too... (how the print head is attached and moves).

WheresWaldo likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Like @mark tomlinson says, unless the Prusa has an all metal carriage it likely has a lot less moving mass on the X axis (probably less on the Y axis too). Less mass to accelerate and more important to decelerate. This would allow faster overall speeds without degrading detail. Although I have had my Robo print as high as about 90 mm/s, I don't like the excess temperatures I need to use and I especially don't like the loss of detail.

9. KTMDirtFace

Have had my printer apart for other reasons and have ruined 3 printed x carrigaes and about 5 linear bearings. ( man those things are garbage, I printed my carriage tight but you just breath on those bearings wrong and they break and bearing balls fly everywhere ).

Just ordered those self aligning bushings for x and y.. Robo's down for awhile, but I can print new carriage and blocks with my other printer while I'm waiting.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace you will really like the upgrade to the bronze bearings.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've seen people print at 100mm/s on the stock robo before.

Print speed is a strange thing because you don't often see the max speed as acceleration plays a larger role.

Just turn up the value and see if you like the results really.

12. KTMDirtFace

Yea I was just curious why my replicator2 defaults to a faster speed. they both have direct drives.. though there is a lot more "stuff" going on in the robo's cairrage.. Huge gears and whatnot, the replicator 2 doesn't have all that.

Soon as I upgrade/repair the robo again i'll try it at faster speeds.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You should also think about lowering the acceleration values. That is where a lot of the Robo deficiencies are. They accepted too many firmware defaults. since they worked (printed without concern for actual accuracy or quality). Very few optimizations were done, if any at all.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The biggest limitation on the Robo is the bed. Throwing that big sheet of glass around and rods has a lot of inertia.

KTMDirtFace and mark tomlinson like this.