1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed traveling to far for last 3 points during autolevel process.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cory Harpell, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Cory Harpell

Cory Harpell Member

When I first start a print and it will start its auto level process the first 6 points are fine, but when it moves the bed to the end for the last 3 points it clearly hits the bed carriage and makes a loud noise. What do I need to do to adjust this so it doesnt move that far for the last 3 points?

2. woferry

woferry Member

If you have one of the R1(plus's?) with the ribbon cable coming out the back for the bed heater, make sure it isn't bunched-up underneath. Mine was grinding the motor trying to take the Y axis to the back and it's because the cable was getting pinched against the plate underneath. I didn't realize that at the time and accidentally fixed it while looking under the bed, but just this afternoon moving the bed again it went back to grinding and I finally discovered the reason for me.

3. Cory Harpell

Cory Harpell Member

Not a cable issue, I have checked it out, took the bed off and made sure it was routed out the back and not in the way at all.

4. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

Double check your bed size is entered correctly in your slicer software.

5. Cory Harpell

Cory Harpell Member

I am using MatterControl and have double checked the bed size in there. I also made it smaller to see if that would help. Still does the same thing. From what I understand the 9 points are programmed in as part of the firmware.... Im guessing that it will need to be edited in their for the X Y locations of the level check, but I just dont even know where to start with it.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Did you replace the firmware?

The nine locations are specified in Configuration.h somewhere around line 325.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the positions in the firmware are correct then there is something else wrong if the bed does not allow full travel.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it contact the switch properly on homing?

9. Cory Harpell

Cory Harpell Member

It does contact the switch properly when homing.

How would I go about checking the firmware positions?

10. Drmike

Drmike Member

I have a similar problem. When I send the G28 command, it homes fine and you can hear (and see) the limit switches click. It then takes the nozzle to the center of the bed. The G29 command then touches down, goes right, touches down, then continues right and slams into the far side and grinds on the physical limit. It continues the whole process, and it is clear that it thinks it started from home when in fact it started from the center. I have added the following start G code:

G28 ;
    G92 E0 ;
    M565 Z-1 ;
    G1 Z5 F5000 ;
    G0 X0 Y0 ;
    G29 ;

This forces the system to work correctly.

Dr. mike

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

What is this for:
    Code:
    G0 X0 Y0 ;
    Although most reprap firmwares may treat G0 and G1 identically, use of G0 is not a best practice and may have unknown effects. Also G29 should take care of moving the head to 15,20, which is the first location in the default ROBO R1 firmware. Should be no need to move it yourself.

12. Drmike

Drmike Member

No , you should not. However, when I do, the whole system actually works correctly instead of brokenly. YMMV.
    I do have a Z offset problem now, but that's another thread!

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not the correct word, so please explain what you mean, details matter. If you have an issue with G29 then maybe we need to fix that instead of masking it.

14. Drmike

Drmike Member

I've been using Cura and minicom to talk to the printer, and Cura is having problems. So I tried sending explicit commands via minicom (which is great, I get to see the response in text). At first G28, G29 seemed ok, but after 5 or so times the x axis and y axis moves did not actually execute.

What started this whole thing was that I could not get MatterControl to load under Ubuntu 14.04. What ever was the problem now seems to be fixed because it just successfully loaded a few minutes ago. Oh, that and the baud rate - I had to recompile the Marlin firmware and download it with 115200 as the baud rate. I hope I got the right firmware from the right location - it is possible the behaviour I see is incorrect firmware.

Let's recap - G28 homes to 0,0, and then moves to center of the bed. G29 starts there and moves to the x and y limits thinking it started at 0,0. I suspect the Cura order of G code start is wrong, and now that I have MatterControl I can go thru the manual step by step and figure this out. Now that I think about it I bet it is the G92 command - they start with G28, do M565, then G92, then G29. I put the G0 X0 Y0 just before the G29 - which undoes what G92 did. It's not "broken", it's doing exactly what it was told!

Dr. mike

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Are you sure that your Marlin edits do nat make it think it is a delta printer. Even though Marlin, is Marlin, is Marlin, I would have started with the version of source supplied by Robo, since they did make a few changes to Configuration.h.

Yes G92 takes your current position and makes it the new 0,0. Shouldn't be there at all. Likely the cause of all your firmware (????) issues.

16. Drmike

Drmike Member

I think it was going to the limits because it started at the wrong zero location. I don't think there are firmware issues - but I do think I can screw things up royally by sending G codes in the wrong order. Once it tries to go past limits, it's hosed in terms of stepper counts.

I've got a request into support for some commands I can send direct via the terminal emulator. Hopefully they'll get me into the right mode. If I don't make a ton of mistakes, I can't learn very fast! By screwing things up royally I'm learning a lot :)

17. Cory Harpell

Cory Harpell Member

OK... I fixed the problem... It was the cable for the bed! I watched it 10 times and didnt see it hitting, but it was sitting a little low in the bracket and that's where it was catching..