1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved .

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Preston Hunsaker, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Preston Hunsaker

Preston Hunsaker New Member

#1 Preston Hunsaker, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Section 31HQ

Section 31HQ New Member

First post, bumping this. I have the same issue. I only print in ABS.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That looks to me like over extrusion:

Preston likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

So, I am just going to mention this and it might not be the actual problem. Plastic is a funny thing and rolls of filament are an unnatural state for plastic to be in!

Plastic as it is drawn into a filament will expand and/or contract by varying amounts depending on how fast it is extruded and other variables we cannot anticipate. Not every spool we get, even from the same manufacturer, will be identical. that is why we all need to test new filaments we get. At the very least to measure the diameter of the filament. If we take the better filament suppliers at their word and say that their 1.75 mm filament can have a tolerance of +-0.05, that means you could have one spool at 1.7 mm and the very next spool at 1.8 mm, that is quite a significant swing and could have adverse effects if you calibrated perfectly on one extreme or the other. Usually adjusting in your slicer of choice could be enough to correct any variations.

I am just saying.

Preston likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try another slicer. That last photo the imperfections look like either a filament issue or an oddity of the way the slicer toolpaths were generated.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Before every print (even on the same roll of filament) I do as the others have stated and measure my filament (in multiple places around the filaments diameter) take the average and input in my slicer. That has helped me a lot with general issues in print quality. I don't print with abs often so can't be of much help with that, but test objects are key. I've heard a lot of people use a temp tower to figure out the best temp for each spool. Others can offer better advise I'm sure. I know for my one spool of hatchbox abs I use my parts fan has to be off.