1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Making Filament

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chris MeaD, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Hey Guys!

So I've had a quite a few scraps/fails I keep saving them and I probably have a few spools of filament in a box. I wanted to see if anyone has gotten into making their own filament. I've looked around people make their own there are also a few kits out there and machines you can buy.

Anyone have any luck?

Really just curious I'd be willing to get in it if it actually works good. What are hobbies for if not to just get more hobbies. ;)

2. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

3. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Yeah I'm on the fence about it. Its seems fun like another project / hobby. I also have friends that 3D print they already said they would give me the fails to recycle.

Yes, I have seen that article thanks for sharing though!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you want to do it for learning and the fun of it, go for it.
    We almost did it, but filament prices for normal filament types started to come down so drastically that it wasn't very attractive any longer. When we started out having to fork over $40+ a spool for PLA or ABS it was an easier choice... now, nope. Not interested in the extra work :)

5. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

I think that's where I am at with it. If I get into it it will only be for fun. And also able to not let anything to to waste is kinda cool seeing how much I wasted sometimes with failed prototypes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are some other interesting things you can do like make filament out of milk jugs (HPDE). So it would be a neat project.

My main motivation was the cost (on a really slow week we only use a spool...busy weeks are much more).
    However I now pay about the same for specialty filaments that we used to pay for normal stuff (and the cheap stuff is way cheap now).

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Same for me, I contemplated making my own filament, then went on Filastruder's main forum at solidforum.com and saw just how much work it was. Especially spooling all the mess that ends up on the floor while creating the filament. I hate respooling as it is, I would hate that even more. Secondly it is no longer cost effective to make any type of filament since you will never have enough scraps and you will need to supplement that scrap with raw materials (usually pellets) and the cost is about the same or sometimes more than already pre-made filament in equivalent quantities.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep. And I had a ton of empty spools (I have accumulated another pile since my last purge).

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I should add that for me the decision is money driven, in this particular case. We all do things that may not be practical or cost-effective for any number of reasons. But this for me is about ROI, not just a hobby, I am making money with 3D printed designs. I don't want to discourage you from doing this if it is for a learning experience, or even if it's just to say 'I can so I will.' Just be aware ahead of time that cost cannot be a factor since we are well beyond that with the cost of filament being driven down as far as it has.

10. Chris MeaD

Chris MeaD New Member

Yeah that's all good insight. I honestly am leaning more into it. Just for hobby sake not for ROI. I would also make a spooler if I was going to do it. Cause I have read about the pains of that.

Thanks for all the different perspectives.

If anything I just think it would be fun trying out the different kinds. I've seen them make filament out of water bottles. Which would be awesome to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Section 31HQ

Section 31HQ New Member

One of many reasons why I got my Robo was to print the big parts for this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:380987
    Recycling the fails and pellets are cheap.:)

Chris MeaD likes this.