1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z axis offset way off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Drmike, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Drmike

Drmike Member

I've finally got a few things working, but when the device goes to auto level it is way, way off. I've attached a picture of where the z axis thinks home is. I can use the MatterControl (yeah!) jog command to move this down, but I don't see how to set z axis home. It finds the bed when doing G29 command when in the center and far right edge, but it does not touch the bed on the far left. This gives a really warped bed and the math can't deal with the error of this magnitude.

The z axis limit switch is closed on the left, but open on the right when the print head is all the way left. The z axis limit switch on the left never gets to open when the print head is all the way right.

How do I fix this?
    Thanks for any hints.
    Dr. mike

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Look for instruction on this forum on how to "paper" level the X Axis, after performing the paper level the auto-bed-leveling routine in Marlin will work much better.

3. Drmike

Drmike Member

I found another poster who could not find it either. Is it basically issuing M565 Z-X.y until it seems correct?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That procedure is to find the correct Z axis offset. Paper level is to use a sheet of paper moving the head from side to side and making sure you can slip the paper under the nozzle on both side of the build plate, adjusting the left and right to be equal by turning one lead screw or the other until the measurement matches.

5. woferry

woferry Member

Unfortunately there is a lot of mention of paper leveling on this forum (came up in my very first post), but when I tried searching nothing useful was turned up here or even with a google search. I still don't understand exactly how it's supposed to work, I did my leveling watching the output of the G29 command and manually twisting my Z-rods as Novice Expert explained in one of his videos. I'd still like to give the paper leveling a try but it would be nice if somebody who actually understands the process and could document it reasonably could perhaps make a (sticky) thread on it.

6. Drmike

Drmike Member

I think it's too simple! You don't even need the system powered on from the description by WheresWaldo. I did something similar with a level and measured the bed (which is quite level on my table) and the X rack, which started out not so level. I just turned the screws until it was level.

A more step by step description would be:
    1) ensure system released or off
    2) move bed to center of Robo (that is, put Y axis on center)
    3) move X axis to far left.
    4) adjust left and right screws until nozzle just touches a piece of paper lying on the bed.
    5) move X axis to far right.
    6) repeat step 4
    7) repeat steps 3 through 6 until you can't change anything any more

So we can all find this by search, we'll call this the "X axis paper level method". Or "paper" level the X Axis.
    I'm not sure that will solve my units problem, but I'm going to give it a try!
    Dr. mike

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Someones google-fu must be off, I can find it that way (But it would be far better in the forum search).
    That has always been a bit of a miss -- the forum search is not horribly good.

8. Drmike

Drmike Member

Yeah - I just tried it via forum search, not full google. Hopefully this will work in the forum search so us newbies can find it.
    It appears to have solved my problem - I can start printing on the bed correctly now. It goes too fast, but that's another thread.