1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved MAX TEMP Error on E3D v6 Hotend

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robotron, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robotron

Robotron New Member

I just installed a E3D v6 Hotend and i am getting the following error.

" Err: MAXTEMP " this is displaying on my LCD the temp is displaying at 358 degrees as soon as i turn on the printer. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be ?

2. woferry

woferry Member

The installation instructions for the E3D mention that you need to change your thermistor configuration in your firmware. Did you do this? If not then I suspect that is the issue, it uses a different thermistor type so the voltage-to-temperature calculation the firmware does would be wrong if it still thought you had the Hexagon's thermistor connected.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a bad thermistor or the wires to the thermistor are shorted/open.

Try reading the resistance of the thermistor from where it connects on the RAMPS board -- you should get about 100k ohms.
    Sanity check the thermistor wiring as well.

While @woferry is right that you need to reconfigure the thermistor type in the firmware if you swapped to the E3D thermistor, it would not make the reading that far off... it would not be correct, but it would be a lot closer than that :)

4. Robotron

Robotron New Member

@mark @woferry
    In Configuration.h Am i definding a new variable for #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 or am i changing the first variable from a _0 1 to _0 5 ? When i changed the _0 1 to _0 5 my LCD now displays a Temp of 739 degrees. @mark am going to test the connection on the ramps board now. Do you suggest i try and take out the wires running threw the threm and reinstalling them to see if they are shorting out each other ?

Attached Files:

5. Robotron

Robotron New Member

LCD display

Attached Files:

• gf.PNG
      gf.PNG
      File size:
      330.2 KB
      Views:
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

From a '1' to a '5'
    Defaults:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1 //robo

Yours (if you used the E3D thermistor):

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 //robo
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1 //robo

Yes, it will read different since it is applying different curve to the raw numbers. That is why I said something is wrong with the sensor or the wires because even with the wrong 'type' selected that number is too far off.

Disconnect the thermistor from the ramps and read resistance back through the wires to the thermistor with it unplugged from the RAMPS and see what you read. It SHOULD be in the ball-park of 100k ohms. If it is a LOT less then it is shorted somewhere and a lot more (like infinity) it is open somewhere.

7. Robotron

Robotron New Member

@mark tomlinson Am getting a reading of 1.4 ohms at the connector marked THREM that go's into the RAMPS board port T0. Do you think the whole E3D is defective or just a defective thermistor ?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You want to read the wires plugged into that port (back to the thermistor) not the board itself.
    So disconnect the thermistor wires from the RAMPS and then read with the meter the resistance of the wires going back to the thermistor.

If you are reading 1.4 ohms over the wires with it disconnected from the RAMPS then either the thermistor is damaged (they are fragile) or the wires are shorted. Just the thermistor is the issue here.

If the thermistor is bad I suggest you get one of these:

https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/screw-on-m3-stud-thermistor

They are sturdy and hard to break :)

It has the advantage of NOT needing the firmware modification either as it is the same thermistor TYPE as the stock one.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1.4ohms sounds like the bed heater... Probably shorting against the heater block

Follow the resistance starting at the first thermistor connector and work from there. You're looking for around 100kohms.

10. zolagg

zolagg New Member

I am having the same issue. I installed the e3dv6 along with the pt100 stud. My screen says maxtemp error and shows the hot end temp at 430? I followed installation instructions for both changing the firmware settings. Any other ideas on what could be wrong.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Read my last post two posts up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.