1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Wierd Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by afat08, Jan 28, 2016.

1. afat08

afat08 Member

I don't quite know how to explain this, so I also did a very rough sketch in Paint on what I am trying to get across. Basically, about 20 minutes into the print, it seems like the material level is higher than the Z level of my nozzle, and the nozzle ends up riding against the material. This puts pressure on the material as it is sliding on the side of the nozzle. Hopefully my sketch explains it... WTF.png

2. afat08

afat08 Member

Possible things running through my mind...Should I slow down the extrusion rate? If so, by how much? I have cura set up running 1.75 dia, .4 nozzle, 100%

3. Trama

Trama Member

What material are you using and what temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Calibrate your extruder

5. afat08

afat08 Member

Currently PLA @ 200C...But I believe this happened with ABS as well...

6. afat08

afat08 Member

Thanks Mark, Ill take a look at that now

7. afat08

afat08 Member

After running the calibration test, I found that it wasn't that far off but could use some tweaking. But the thing is, it was the opposite of what I was expecting. I ran a 100mm test and it extruded 95-96mm of filament. So if I fix that, won't it make more material come out and worsen the problem?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It will fix A problem. You may have more :)
    The next question is what printer (exactly) do you have? (Beta, R1, R1+, if you have a Beta or an R1 what mods have you done)
    What firmware (exactly) do you have loaded?

9. afat08

afat08 Member

Ya I guess I should put my info in my sig so you all know...but I have the r1+ just purchased from BB a few weeks ago. Just the stock firmware that came with it. I will try and get a video of what I'm talking about tomorrow, it doesn't affect the print in the end result or at least it doesn't seem, but I feel that maybe this is affecting ABS parts that get knocked off the bed a half hour into the print and sometimes (rare) PLA

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might also be the Z axis stepper driver overheating or the motors are skipping steps.

Are your objects coming out at the right height? Make sure the fan at the bottom of your printer is running and getting good airflow

11. afat08

afat08 Member

Sorry, I was very busy over the weekend and could not get a good pic or video to show what is happening. I will try today or tomorrow...Just by looking at it, it seems that the nozzle is at the right height, but the material forms a "lip" around the edge of the part that ride along the sides of the nozzle... @Mike Kelly I'll run a test print and measure with my calipers to see if it's the right height in the end result, although I will say that the parts I have made so far, fit and work as needed and don't seem too big or small.

12. afat08

afat08 Member

BUMP...Just picked up my digital calipers and ran a 20mm test cube. It came out almost dead accurate within +/- .03 mm tolerance. And the extruder calibration was very close within 2mm out of a 100mm test. I just cant figure out why it seems the nozzle is "rubbing the material" at times...?

13. Schlomo

Schlomo Member

What is your first layer height? Extrude the first layer and stop your print and check. It should be close to what you set in your slicer.. Do you get pillowing on the first few layers? I'd assume you do based on you rpicture. I found that if my first layer was too close to the bed i would build up pressure in my nozzle and the subsequent layers would pillow badly. To fix this I had to do a few tests with 3-4 bottom layers to find the best z-offset settings that still give me good adhesion as well as not creating too much pressure in the hotend.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  14. afat08

afat08 Member

I have noticed recently that this problem is mainly cause when printing overhangs or when trying to go up and out at the same time...