1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Oiler

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Feb 6, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

So, awhile back I figured out that I have to oil my filament with PLA or it starts under extruding on small parts.

My problem now is if I leave the little oiler container on, it completely ruins my prints, nothing will stick to the bed anymore at all...won't even stick to build tak!

How do you prevent this? I took my oiler off and launched about 500mm through the extruder but it still wont stick to the bed. My z offset is good because I ican watch the first layer trying to get smashed down pretty good.. but it wont stick. so i'm convinced its the stupid oil that has messed me up.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All I can imagine is that you are using too much oil.

However, the oil should really not make it to the bed or certainly not enough to matter.

I have had it drip oil on the bed and still no problems sticking...however, you need to look at the filament after it extrudes and see if you still have oil on it.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given that the smoke point of canola is 190-232°C it really should be smoking away before extrusion (the little bit that is on there).
    That is kind-of the point since you want it to season (or maintain seasoning) on the nozzle. As oil alone that wouldn't happen. Leaving a bunch of oil in my frying pan won't season it either, but heating it up with oil in it will :)

4. KTMDirtFace

Odd. Its very strange I literally can't get anything to stick to the bed now.

Cleaned the bed with isopropal alchohol, and it has build tak on it ( which everything sticks too )

I'll keep messing with it.. and yes I used to much oil.

Edit: I have a print finally working in PLA again. Had to use a raft and the first part of the raft didn't stick at all but its sticking now. Hopefully its good to go again.

#4 KTMDirtFace, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. KTMDirtFace

Is it the oil I'm using?

I just put the oiler on my Modded Rep2 that has a heated bed and build tak.. it is now experiencing the same problems ( nothing will stick )

[​IMG]

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, I use canola as well.

None of the oil makes it pas the nozzle to the print itself (much less enough to make it not stick) unless you are using too much. Even the times I had oil pooling on the bed (talk about using too much...) I never had adhesion problems.

7. KTMDirtFace

Strange, I don't know whats going on then. Every time I use the oiler ( just a little 3d printed thing with a piece of sponge smashed in it )... I get this problem where nothing will stick to the bed.

Does it on 2 printers. I think from now on i'll just oil it for a bit and remove the oiler.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, you can season without printing and just redo it as needed.
    Only risk you run is a failed print telling to you do it again :)

If you just season between prints every so often you are fine.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace You do realize that seasoning does not have to be only when you are printing PLA. Also, seasoning lasts more than one print session.

You print a lot of PETG, which you probably print about 30-40°C hotter than PLA, you could go one print session with the oiler in place while printing a PETG object, then remove the oiler for colder PLA prints after a bit do it all over again. Seasoning doesn't mean you actually have a coating of oil on the inside of the nozzle. The desired end result is a polymerized dry coating of oil residue left in the nozzle, You may be just on the edge of the required temperature if you only have the oiler on while printing PLA, especially if you print as low as you can extrude safely.

10. KTMDirtFace

I print PLA at 195, and PETG at 235.

I'm gonna crank it up to 250 and run some through, as I still can't get anything to stick to the bed currently. ( and thats on build Tak, you can basically throw hot filament at build tak and it sticks so I don't know whats has happend. )

#10 KTMDirtFace, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  11. KTMDirtFace

I think my 3d printed carriage broke. Feels like its the auto leveling that is all screwed up. looks like its cracked by the rear bearing. Gonna re-print a carriage on my replicator. Bad luck or whatever but both my printers quit sticking the instant I put oiler on. Coincidence I guess. . seems like bed level problems on both of them now.

#11 KTMDirtFace, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can understand even a minor leveling issue causing adhesion problems. I have never seen an oiler do it.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  13. KTMDirtFace

I think I finally figured out the problem. OIL and BuildTak = no stick.

I had build tak on both my modded replicator2, and my robo3d. I put an oiler on both of them the other day because i was switching to PLA. NOTHING will stick to either printer now.

after trying every thing I could possible come up with..it still wouldn't stick. ( new nozzles, full teardown, crazy z offsets, massive extrusion multipliers...etc )

What fixed it? took the build tak off and printed on gluestick like I used to.. and it worked great.

Apparently? as my best guess the oil gets into the build tak surface and makes it slippery like snot. I tried sanding it, and using alcohol, but nothing would stick anymore. After ditching the buildTak and going back to glass + glue stick its working flawlessly.

#13 KTMDirtFace, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the oil is making it to the bed you are using too much of it :)

The idea is that it doesn't really live past the nozzle. ALl you want to do is reseason the nozzle inside constantly.

However, I have occasionally done that myself and even tot he point where sometimes I had small drops of oil on the bed and never had sticktion issues so ... glad you got it sorted though.

Good to know that the combination is not cool.

15. KTMDirtFace

I didn't really use that much oil. So i'm still really confused why suddenly nothing would stick to the buildtak anymore. It acted like when you try to print on plain glass with no glue or anything ...aka didn't work.

Anyway got it working now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Questions about the oiler. I have used several different sponges and get the same problem, the sponge hardens up and no longer absorbs anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like packing foam. The yellow kind works well.