1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Smooth printing on half the part

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Burgardt, Feb 20, 2016.

1. John Burgardt

John Burgardt New Member

While printing a gear, the teeth on one side a beautiful but the other side is a little washed out and has little strings between the teeth. Is this related to the motion system? Maybe some play in the y-axis? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. John Burgardt

John Burgardt New Member

Also, it is symmetrical about the y-axis. Good on one side and stringy and under-extruded on the other side. The tips of the gear teeth look like they got to hot just in the middle layers. I have tried various speeds and varying the extrusion multiplier but nothing gets rid of the strings and tiny blobs. This is the view of the bottom or first layer.

Attached Files:

#2 John Burgardt, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

for the stringing part :
    -put a 3 mm retract on the filament,
    -activate the option of "not crossing the perimeter"

and for the assymetry try and tweek the firmware and lower the acceleration a jerk(?) settings
    also try and move each axis by hand looking for some "hard" spots on the motion

4. John Burgardt

John Burgardt New Member

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking the acceleration had something to do with it. There is no crossing of perimeters, so that is why this was so puzzling. It was dragging a tiny ball of plastic from the tip of the gear teeth around the side; causing the strings.

5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

also i forgot, but also try to lower the printing temperature if the retraction settings doesn't work