1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Web enabled Robo3d using Raspberry Pi and Octoprint

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by sjreggel, Feb 19, 2014.

1. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Are you configuring for gmail? I ended up using yagmail.register, but if I remember correctly, using the latest Octopi, I still had to install some prereqs before getting that command to work properly.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can set up redirection from the router to the port 80 on that box, but it is not fun... sorry, I mistyped that. It is NOT FUN.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I think the yagmail is just a shorthand call for the keyring addition. When I tried installing the library for keyring I was getting write access errors. If you can possible recall the prereqs that would help.

sounds like more effort than just remote connecting with splashtop...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. James Harry

A little one-time effort, but then easy web interface from any device without having a client loaded.

Sean Carson and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something like splashtop is a far better solution.
    I initially went down the road (for something else, but still...) of getting a port opened through my router and even with the tools from portforward.com it was not a pleasant experience. There are far better alternatives that use HTP... go that route*.

*not really a pun

6. James Harry

I use teamviewer for my other systems at home, but really want to keep the Pi lightly loaded. I don't find port forwarding all that difficult, but are the issues provider-related or router-related? I have bunches of ports forwarded for different purposes. My RPi-controlled garage door monitor/opener is on a different port so I can get to it easily...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the ISP and router are what end up getting gnarly.
    It doesn't help we have 3 subnets (do not ask).

James Harry likes this.
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I tested a bunch of remote clients. Team Viewer is great in a pinch but not great for doing complex stuff over the internet. I can actually run solidworks over Splashtop remotely. It's slow but way better than any of the alternatives.

Splashtop is also great for in home use because of how well it renders. You can play fast paced games over it for the most part. Similar to like Steam in home sharing.

In short, try Splashtop today!

lol

In seriousness though it's worth the subscription if you're away from your home computer a lot.

9. James Harry

Not a fan of subscription models for things that don't really need to be. I own Splashtop 2 and had the original before that word came into the picture. :) But for me, teamviewer is great as I carry my Macbook Pro with me so I have Inventor with me and handy, but remote access for the more minor things I need to do at home from time to time.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I resisted for a while but got tired of 2's nuance. I don't even think about it anymore because of how much I use it. Everyone has their own needs though :)

11. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

I can't upload to the SD card. It is greyed out. Clicking on the "Initialise SD Card" is not helping too.

12. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

It is very cool that people are getting octoprint to work with the R1.

I just got octoprint installed on a PI zero and running last weekend and I can connect and control things such as move, heat. I have not been able to print over octoprint yet. It tries and seems to just get stuck.

The setup is R1+ with reprap lcd with sd card which is how we normally print.
    Pi zero, wifi dongle, octoprint nightly build from last week, Marlin from Robo r1 upgrade. Not the beta.

Does anyone have the same setup working with octoprint and LCD printing?
    If so:
    1. What version of Marlin firmware are you using?
    2. Did you customize any settings other than for the LCD?
    3. Any words of wisdom or advise?

Thanks,

Peter

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am using the following:
    1. rPi2 with Octoprint devel branch on Raspbian Jessie.
    2. Hardwired not WiFi
    3. Robo3D R1 running Marlin 1.1.0-RC3 and Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller
    4. Only config changes were to Configuration.h to get Full graphics LCD enabled
    Just an FYI this setup also worked with Marlin 1.0.0 that Robo supplies.
    Nothing special, it just worked.

14. woferry

woferry Member

1) I started out with the totally stock firmware as shipped with my R1+Plus (I've since re-flashed to enable the full graphics LCD and set my calibrated extruder setting but nothing had to be changed to support octoprint).

2) Nope

3) I used a Pi 2B, not sure if anything could be different with the zero (this was my first Pi and I know next to nothing about it). I had a bear of a time getting it to join my closed/MAC-authenticated WiFi network, but there was enough help on the web that I was finally able to find the solution. And I bought a cheapo HD webcam that it couldn't use until I tweaked its settings (my camera didn't support the default 640x480@10fps and had to be cranked-up to 1920x1080@15fps to work, which was fine because I was hoping for the higher quality anyhow.. :). But the printing side of it 'just worked' for me, I didn't have to do anything at all.

I would imagine octoprint has a support forum (I didn't need it so I haven't looked for one), probably better to ask there. If it can talk to the printer at all it seems like the Robo side of things is probably fine, octoprint really doesn't do anything different than printing directly over USB from your computer. I haven't done it myself, but octoprint should allow you to upload to and print from the Robo SD card, so that would greatly minimize the USB comms to just telling the printer which file to print, if even that doesn't work then maybe there is something wrong on the Robo side but I don't know what that would be.

Even better, I recently installed 'octocmd' on my Mac, so I can now start a print direct from the command-line (more specifically from the Makefile I use to turn my .scad's into .stl's and .stl's into .gcodes), so I can tweak my .scad file and "make print FILE=foo.gcode" and in a few seconds the printer is printing. If only I didn't need to still wander into the office to scrape off any boogers from zeroing/leveling before it starts printing over them and occasionally add hairspray it would be perfect.. :) Only odd thing I found is that I have to run whatever octocmd action I want (upload, select or print) twice for it to actually work, the first run clears out the currently-selected job but doesn't do the requested action for some reason, I need to take that back to whatever support octocmd has to see what's going on there, I just have the Makefile execute the command twice and it's worked flawlessly so far.

15. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

Wow thanks WheresWaldo for the quick response and Woferry for so many details.

I guess my next step it to start fresh which should be easy now I know how to.
    I'll grab the beta reprap and a fresh raspberry image and not try to make any changes before full test.

Camera is on slow boat from China still

I will also take a look at the command line tool.

Thanks again.

I'll post when working.

16. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

Well I did a fresh install of octopi and did not install any extra plugins and it seems to be working fine.
    I'm on my second print of a Flying Spaghetti Monster iPhone case

Thanks all for the help.

17. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I went this route and here's what I ended up with.

I was able to build a pi2 into the robo, along with a DC-DC converter, and modified a deck plate cover from thingiverse to give me ethernet and DC in the unit, relatively cleanly. I routed a short USB cable out the side, through the USB hole, and basically plugged the unit into itself. It's not elegant, but lets me connect my macbook directly to the robo if I need it.

I got a cheap android tablet, an Amazon fire, and installed cyanogen (because bloat) and maxathon, which I found worked fastest with the camera and Gcode viewer. The TouchUI octoprint plugin and expanding the screen in android settings really works out well here.

My deck plate mod: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1398543
    the camera mod: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1159147
    the tablet mount: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:742894

As for the networking, I'm using a VPN rather than simply forwarding ports. This thing has a camera to my apartment facing the outside world. It's either I lock it down or ask for tips.

I have no desire to directly connect my robo to my laptop now. I can send it a print, take my laptop to class, and check in on the camera.

18. Ricardo Arredondo

Ricardo Arredondo New Member

Great info here. Got my Octoprint working. sad to report my thermester broke so yay time to fix something else.

19. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Ok. I'm giving OctoPrint a shot since everyone talks about it and the ability to remote view status with the webcam and not have to do the SD card shuffle has me intrigued.

Using Tom's video I ordered the necessary components and dove into Raspberry Pi for the first time. It was pretty painless except I could not get the WiPi to work at all despite everything on the Pi showing it should be working. It was recognized, drivers showed loaded, and it could scan and see all the networks around me including my own. It just would not connect. Ever. I gave up and just used an Ethernet Cable to get it up and running so i could play with OctoPrint.

I can control my Robo's X,Y,Z Axis via the web UI as well as set the temps but printing is another story.

Is it just me and my Pi or is OctoPrint slower than molasses in the middle of winter? Drag and drop copies a file, and that's cool, but damn it takes FOREVER to copy. I mean it's worse than trying to download a movie on a weak dial-up internet connection.

Just a bit ago I selected a file to print off of the SD Card in the LCD Display and it's been 20min and the Status still shows "Calculating..." for a 3Meg .gcode file (generated via Cura). By the time this thing finishes "calculating" I could have used the LCD to tell the file to print and already be well on my way.

Anyone have similar issues? Is the slowness just the way it is?

Update: Still Calculating...

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 3.23.53 PM.png

#79 Scifideity, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Weird on the WiPi. That thing is like designed to work with the rPi -- I love them. OTOH I have not messed with OcitPrint in a while so there may be something funky on their distribution.

There are a few linux networking confabulations to do (but they doc them pretty well). I am able to get it connected to one of our routers without too much hassle.

As for speed it was not what I would call a rocketship when we where using it, but that was a long time back (over a year) and I would have presumed it faster by now. More likely a linux config that needs tuning :)

There are some folks on here who do use the heck out of it. @WheresWaldo is one I think.

Scifideity likes this.