1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Thank you @James Harry I want to do the same for my Robo, since OLED screens are small I was planning on cutting out the cover and adding one to one side or the other. Where is the encoder located and who did you source this from?

2. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I got the .98" unit from a US seller near me on ebay. I also ordered a 2.42" unit which I think is what I will ultimately mount on the R1 also on ebay. That will take awhile to get here from China, so we'll see on that one.

I just got an RGB lit rotary encoder from sparkfun that I haven't wired up yet. I will probably put it right next to the display and use it's light to give me feedback on status of the printer as well.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

When you get your stuff all together, create a thread for the mods you did. I have been wanting to get rid of the LCD controller for a while, too bulky and contrast is finicky. Been thinking about the OLED route for a while.

4. James Harry

Yep, I've been planning on doing that. I'm glad it was easier with the newer firmware, and switching to that was a breeze, thanks to this thread. :)

5. stahlee

stahlee New Member

I installed the RC3 firmware and so far it's working well. I have mesh bed leveling enabled and it works great!!! My glass bed is just a little lower in the back right which has caused me issues on large prints since day one. I'm using the Smart LCD Controller XXL.

So I missed the part that there is no need to set the Z offset once the mesh bed leveling calibration is completed. I'm loving that part.

Etan15 likes this.
  6. James Harry

I haven't tried it. Do you just uncomment #define MESH_BED_LEVELING
    and re-comment #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE?

7. stahlee

stahlee New Member

You'll need to comment out the ABL too. If you look back on page 7 of this thread, Waldo shared a Configuration.h file for mesh bed leveling.

8. James Harry

Thanks. The only other change I saw in his configuration.h was to enable #define MANUAL_BED_LEVELING along with #define MESH_BED_LEVELING.

I'll give it a try

9. stahlee

stahlee New Member

Hmm, I see the first thing I don't like. The LCD no longer turns off with the printer. Anybody know how to make the LCD shutoff when I power off the printer?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you have a USB cable plugged in and drawing power, it will continue powering the Arduino and in turn the LCD. Marlin has always worked that way, as far as I can tell and there is no way to actually stop that, without modifying the RAMPS board by adding diode D1
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#D1.2C_D2_-_Diodes

It is not a firmware thing.

11. stahlee

stahlee New Member

Yeah, I don't think I was using OctoPrint the last time I had the LCD connected.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As long as the Arduino has power the LCD has power.

13. James Harry

Did you go through the one-time manual leveling process, or was it good to go? I was looking through https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/wiki/Mesh-Bed-Leveling and with G29 S1 it's supposed to go front left at 4mm above, but when I do it, it goes to the bed. So not sure if it was already good to go, or if I need to run through that process and something is not working as expected.

14. stahlee

stahlee New Member

I'm just going to disconnect the USB when I shut off the printer.

15. stahlee

stahlee New Member

Yeah, I went through the bed leveling process. It only takes a couple minutes to basically do the paper calibration.

You must run through the process. It's basically a manual G29. After it's done, the G29 command will list those values, which is cool. MBL works though. I've printed several tests since I set it up last night. I run a test where I set up 5 calibration blocks, 1 at each corner and 1 in the middle. Something I could not have been able to do before. The back right has been a problem since day one since it it lower. It printed perfectly.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  16. James Harry

Thanks. When you did the G29 S1, did it take it to the bed right away or ~4mm off the bed?

Same here with difficulty with full bed. The PEI is definitely helping, but I think mesh would be much better.

17. stahlee

stahlee New Member

Straight to the bed.

18. James Harry

Thanks

19. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

@Mike Kelly can you post the starting Gcode you use with the mesh bed leveling version of the firmware?

EDIT: I'm assuming it's just the G28 followed by some moves to get the nozzle off the bed either before/after the heating operations, but want to make sure (assuming the mesh bed leveling is stored in EEPROM properly).

#179 daniel871, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You don't need anything in the startup G-code to enable mesh leveling. Once you run it and store the values it should keep working*

*I was noticing a need to redo it after power cycling the arduino, not sure this is expected or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.