1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Petg jams after a few hours in r1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sean Carson, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

When trying to print inland PETG white in an r1+, it jams and corkscrews below the feed bolt after a few hours. I have no zero issues printing with the uncolored version from the same brand. I'm printing from my raspberry pi 2 running octoprint, with slicing taking place in matter control with the following settings:

Extrude temp: 250°
    Bed temp: 90°
    Speed: 50mm/s
    Infill: hex at 30%
    Solid layers (top): 5
    Solid layers (bottom): 5
    Layer height: 0.2mm
    Max fan speed: 65%
    Extrusion multiplier: 98%

I've tried to be gentle and slow (except for the violent hex infill) with this material but it still clogs after an hour or two. Up until then, the print looks great.

#1 Sean Carson, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I found I had to print PETG at 260 to get good flow.

Also measure the filament at a number of points with calipers just to be sure that it's up to spec. The hexagon hot end has tighter tolerances and more susceptible to jamming from slightly out of spec filament.

May also be worth adding in a tube to your feed slot to reduce the area for it to bend in

3. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

What material should this tube be? Where would I get this tube? I can't just print it, can I?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not really no.

The best material to use for a tube is PTFE. But that's hard to come by in a size that fits in the existing hole. They do make 3mm OD and 2mm ID PTFE tube but probably hard to find.

The second best option would be a 4mm OD and 2mm ID PTFE Tube. The problem being is that you would need to remove the hobbed bolt in order to drill out the feed hole to ~4.2mm to fit the PTFE in place. Though once it's in you'll get the benefits of the tube for all materials, especially the more flexible ones.

I used a brass tube that I bought from ace, as outlined here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/ninjaflex-filament.1589/#post-12135

He has a picture a bit below.

It's pretty nice because you don't need to drill anything out, but I find I have some difficulty feeding in filaments with it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Tada! Jacking up the temperature did it, but it's now stringy compared to the natural PETG. I am also getting sloppy overhangs and bridges, as shown in the images below.

A long standing problem that bed leveling doesn't seem to have solved was curling away from the bed.

Attached Files:

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are many ways to handle bridging. you can simply increase the speed of the extrusion for bridging, and since it moves faster you have a better chance of not sagging. You could decrease the extrusion multiplier for bridging, and that might reduce sagging. You could increase cooling during bridging. Or some combination of all three. It will be up to you to experiment as there are very few universal truths in 3D printing.

#6 WheresWaldo, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  7. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

If anyone needs it, you can get the tubing for 1.75 mm from Amazon. It is about $8 for a coil.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BC896G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Just phoning back in with an update. The best thing I did with this printer was to narrow that channel to the hotend with PTFE tubing. It wasn't difficult at all and makes petg a decent everyday material. It rarely jams now.

So why was the original hole so wide?

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

10. Bil Forshey

Bil Forshey Member

I agree a PTFE tube solves the feed problem, and it is well worth the trouble of removing the hobbed bolt to drill out the hole and install it.

As far as your curling problem check out the FLEKS3D build plate system.

http://www.fleks3d.com

It solved all of my problems with prints warping. No more glue stick or hairspray.