1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered layer adhesion problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bubbletron, Feb 25, 2016.

1. bubbletron

bubbletron New Member

Hello everyone!
    First off I have the Robo 3d R1v2 with the e3d v6. I have had countless beautiful prints from this machine until recently. I am away from home and I took my printer with me. I packaged it in the original box and brought it with me. It arrived unscathed and everything worked well, until about a week ago. I haven't been able to get any prints that look decent out.

I did not have cura or mattercontrol on my laptop when I ventured out here. I installed it fresh once I got to my hotel room. installing mattercontrol did make me update the firmware (which got rid of the custom firmware for the e3d, i think). It worked fine for the first 2 weeks and just after I installed Simplify3d everything went to crap. I can't get a decent print out even in cura or matter control now. Please help! 20160225_182552[1].jpg

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

I'm sure the more experienced guys will tell you specifically what is going on but I'd start with removing the bottom and checking everything electronic is good and snug in connection then tighten up all screws and bolts everywhere considering you did transport the machine. Maybe something was loose and got worse with subsequent use and not Simplify3d? I did this to mine recently after performing many very long 12 to 17 hour prints and it made a huge improvement. Just a thought. Good luck hope you sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Have you tried using an oiler? Also is your spool able to spin freely?

4. bubbletron

bubbletron New Member

Thanks for the input, I'll get to checking everything over while I wait to see if anyone else has something. I am speculating that this may have to do with something mechanical within the hot end or something. I am thinking that there might be a lot of wear on my nozzle or something. maybe the PTFE tube got a little bit melted. i did read somewhere that you shouldn't run temps over 245c, which i have for some ABS.

To add to the list of things to assist in getting a better answer. I did a few clean pulls of filament I.E. heated to 110 (PLA) let it hang out there for a couple mins, then pulled the filament out. everything looked good. I then cut the end off and ran 500-600 mm of filament through at the normal operating temp. Repeated this 2 times then printed one of those ghosts. After a failure I repeated those steps again. changed filament, The stuff I bought was straight from the people that manufactured it. As in drove over to where they actually made it and bought some. Thinking that there must have been something wrong with the filament that i brought on the plane with me.

I then went through and checked that the hobbed bolt was clean of debris as well as the PTFE tube and bearings near there. I am using one of those filament filters with a tad of mineral oil ( I have tried with and without). I lubricated everything the day I packed it up so I wouldn't have to worry about it while i was gone for over a month. So I have tried with 2 different PLAs and 2 ABS (all, except the new PLA, I have had no problems with).

Also I finally have to correct firmware back on my machine with no success other than the fact that I don't have to have my M565 set to z-.85. it is back to being the "normal" Z-1.

I have also tried different layer heights, temperatures, extrude multiplier/feed rates, and fan speed settings. i know we will get this working again. thanks in advance for all the awesome help you guys provide here!

#4 bubbletron, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  5. bubbletron

bubbletron New Member

Yes and yes. sorry I was writing a novel and didn't see your question :)

6. bubbletron

bubbletron New Member

100mm extrusion. you can see that it is having some hiccups. i promise the hobbed bolt and everything in that area is clean. Still not sure what the deal is. Also, the spool of filament is very loose and it did not have to move at all for that extrusion. I hope this help shed some light on the situation. Thanks in advance.

temp: 230c (a little high for PLA but it is the recommended on the side of the spool, and it works great at that)
    extruder fan: on
    parts fan: off

#6 bubbletron, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. bubbletron

bubbletron New Member

So I have to pack my printer up tonight but I think I'm finally getting in the right direction. I noticed a pattern that I can 100% recreate. I noticed that there was a shortage of filament every time the extruder gear turned on this one tooth. So I marked it and I have been watching it and sure enough every time it goes past there it doesn't extrude any filament. May be something on the hobbed bolt or it is a small blockage between the hotend and nozzle. Too bad I will have to wait until Saturday when I get my printer back at home to mess around with it. Seems it isn't as life threatening as I thought.

20160229_212552[1].jpg