1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

enclosure for printer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WineBirds, Feb 26, 2016.

1. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

I was thinking of making a plexiglass enclosure for my robo,(1) to safeguard it from anyone putting hands in ,etc.(2) to control the environment like other enclosed 3d printers,told for some materials(abs,etc)that it helps,and (3)adding a charcoal filter on the top for fumes.Any thoughts on this.Will it get too hot inside if not enough circulation?As side note I just received my new plus model and will be powering it up in just a few minutes,will be first try @ 3d printing-will post how it goes.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

WineBirds likes this.
  3. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

I was going to go around the outside and cover complete printer all sides and top (except bottom)using hinges on a separate piece in front so it easily flips up for quick access(work @ a hinge manufacturer-am a toolmaker)but I do like that one you listed may rethink my design now,if an enclosure is a needed or useful option?

4. danzca6

If printing with ABS, yes. I would say the enclosure I listed is a good investment. It also helps with sound and the other things you mentioned above. You can add a port for venting fingers, but ABS really is the only filament that puts off bad fumes that I've used so far. Mostly stock with pla that doesn't smell bad at all.

I wouldn't enclose the whole thing. Without proper cool air flow to the control board under the printer, you will have problems. Depending on what temps and duration you are printing, you may also need to keep an eye on the stepper motors overheating. That's why I think Mike's design is great and makes for a good blend of enclosing the printer while keeping the health of the components in mind. Just my opinion. But if you want to continue with your design ideas, just keep cooling in mind and you should be fine. Always good to have another approach to a solution for a given problem. Love to see what you come up with.

WineBirds likes this.
  5. danzca6

Oh and another note to your question about being useful, there at some that print in their unheated garage in cold winter months. This helps with that as well.

#5 danzca6, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    WineBirds likes this.
  6. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

thanks,great advice.just printed my 1st item used the dog tag file included in sd card,all went great! love this printer already.now on to real items that I will have to design on cad (reason for buying printer.one question and I know is dumb to ask but I used glue stick and used pla now part is solid on bed-what to do to remove?should I used hairspray or even nothing at all and how to get it off w/out damage to bed?

7. jonnyb44

jonnyb44 Member

I use a scraper to hit the base once it starts to move just pops off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WineBirds likes this.
  8. danzca6

To remove, I normally wait until it is back to room temp. Cooler the better to get it to pop nice. I have done it when hot and deformed it before. I've seen some even use compressed air can spray to give it a blast of cold. You can even use the butt of the scraper to tap the part a bit before going at it with the blade edge. Personally for PLA, I use hairspray. 80's band style Aqua Net Extra Hold. No real need to spray each time either depending on previous parts footprint and what you are printing now. Word of caution, use a piece of paper to shield the parts of the printer that isn't the bed. Don't want unwanted buildup of spray an linear parts. To that end, remember to lube and clean linear parts as needed. Also, spay, glue, or whatever, builds up. Take some time and do a complete clean of the glass from time to time. Too much build up can actually change your z offset needed. All little things that you will get used to as you go.

With PLA, some just use the heated bed as is with no adhesive or tape. Some use heat and some don't. Probably best to at least use heat on the bed on the first few layers. You can always lower or turn off the heat after...that is...if you have an LCD controller or a slicer that lets you change profiles for a print by layer. Depends on the part as well. I use spray for insurance and keep the heat going through the print. But that is more than you asked. Sorry for the long reply. Happy printing. I find designing and printing your own parts a lot more exciting than grabbing off of Thingiverse or something similar. It's an addiction and a great hobby.

WineBirds likes this.
  9. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

thanks.plan on cleaning bed completely after each build as will be making rather accurate parts if printer will do it.I did not buy to make trinkets, use to compliment my side business making unique one of a kind birdfeeders and other items that is where the WineBirds name came in,also main job toolmaking we hope to make prototypes and in use tooling using cad designs I will make,till I see if need next level up printer.That said I will have my 4year old granddaugher printing little toys,etc by end of today,this will be very cool,little ones are excited to watch,build and learn!hope to show you all a pic of her printing on her own,thanks all for help,this forum is great for everyone!

10. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

Worked,thanks

11. danzca6

I thought WineBirds was more alcohol related. :) I'd like to see some of your creations sometime. I have about a dozen bird feeders around my yard. We get all sorts of wild life around here.

Cleaning it every time might be found to be overkill, but that again depends on what you are doing.

My son is now designing things with Tinkercad, and learning a bit about Fusion 360, for making things with his Lego sets and such. He loves it and sometimes takes over my machine on the weekends. Makes it hard for me to plan longer prints, but I don't mind staying up late. My daughter enjoys it as well, but isn't as deep into it. She normally is doing homework, sleeping, writing a book, sleeping, playing her instruments, sleeping, talking to her friends, sleeping...teenagers. Haha! Having kids get involved in this field is really a big plus. My kids, nieces, nephews, and neighbor kids are why I bought my enclosure. However, I've been the one putting my hands in when and where they shouldn't be while printing. So being careful around these printers is a lesson for all ages.

Happy Printing!

12. WineBirds

WineBirds New Member

I make a couple of style feeders,use recycle material when possible ,one is wine bottles and plates all one of a kind ,try for special bottles if available,people love them once decorated will send a pic at some point,granddaughter is here we are printing and she is amazed,makes it worth the $spent